MIL The coast guard turned me down.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BenFer, Nov 2, 2007.

1. BenFer

BenFer I've seen bigger OT Supporter

I cant get into a single branch of the military because I take medication for anxiety attacks. What is your guys opinion of this?

:hs:

they said ditch the meds, wait a year and try again.

2. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

I wouldn't want to be sitting in a foxhole with a person that has to take medication to control anxiety. The military is unbelievably stressful, Coast Guard included, and even the most stable person will find themselves in situations where it is almost impossible to control their anxiety. I would hate to see how a person like yourself reacts to some of the situations I have had to deal with over the years.

3. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

bottom line: sack up

i know it's harsh to hear, but even me, a guy who fucks around with a half-assed desk job, occasionally flying a training mission with some of my best friends (read: not stressful), even i have been in some bad spots where my adrenaline shot through the roof and peoples' lives were on the line.

anxiety doesn't begin to describe it, even if it is the 1% of the time kind of thing.

you just man up, remember your training, do your job, and don't fuck up. the stress and fear actually help you. and you get that added boost of knowing that you've experienced life in a way most people haven't.

my advice - if you think you can hack it, ditch the meds, wait, and try again. you'd be surprised what you're capable of when you let go of your crutches and walk on your own.

4. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

I would LOVE to be in a foxhole with someone on anxiety meds. LOVE

5. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

thats gay, and by that I mean its gay on your part.

6. BenFer

i see your guys point, but still, I felt it was a little harsh. a flat out no.

7. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

If your heart's in it, do what they say.

8. BenFer

you know me too well.

9. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Then get a doc's approval to get off the meds (they hate when one just stops on thier own), and try again in a year. If it means that much to you, then you'll do it. They also didn't give a flat out no. If they had done that, you would never have another shot.

10. s3rca

s3rca New Member

the coast guard is a very small service , theres a good possibility he might be on a ship with you one day . i dont blame him , would you want someone on anxiety meds watching your back while you fight an engine room fire ? this goes pretty much for any situation in any service . think about why this is important , stop taking your meds and come back in a year .

we're not the easiest branch to get in to either , i dont know why you singled us out after you were turned down by every other branch .

11. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

"Sir, I'm feeling kinda anxious about the water, think we could pull ashore so that I might walk on land for a bit?"

"No."

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. NPH

NPH Guest

You'd get an attack in boot camp.. the pressure/stress would just get to you. They can't just slow down for you in the heat of training just so you can recompose yourself.