MIL The Cancer From Within

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ParTyBoy, Nov 8, 2007.

1. ParTyBoy

ParTyBoy New Member

This is a long eye opening piece of one career military professional's disturbing observation on how the US military has lost its secular roots and become overrun by Christian fundamentalists using the military to push their religion.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20071107_the_cancer_from_within/

2. Durkastan

Durkastan New Member

Not biased at all:ugh:

3. ParTyBoy

ParTyBoy New Member

Are you contesting his statements or do you simply not agree with them for personal reasons?

4. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

scary...

although my experience in the air force has not been as far-right as what the article describes, i have noticed an abundance of fundamentalist christians and viewpoints, both in my co-workers and in my leadership. i attribute it mostly to a large amount of officers in the air force hailing from areas of the bible belt and midwest - fundamentalist christian groups tend to heavily support military service, especially as an officer.

having participated in direct combat operations i can say that at absolutely no time did religion play into any operational missions or directions i recieved. we were never told or led to believe that we were fighting for any other reason than the directives stated - and none of those directives or objectives were related to any religious reasoning.

i can see from a culture standpoint why USAFA might be a bastion for fundamentalist thought, although i don't think it's indicitive of the air force as a whole, at least not yet. i think "cancer" is a strong and ultimately improper word to use to describe the phenomenon. i do think it's something that needs oversight, to prevent any real abuse of the air force by those who have "other" purposes to serve than defending the constitution of the United States, which is and should remain our definitive purpose.

5. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Nor are you? Everyone and thing has a bias.

6. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I have not seen anything like what was described in the article. I think a lot of the shit people dig up comes from within.

7. MrRyan

Oh I've seen it...old IG boss had to send a note to the CG to tell the chaplain to calm down his sermons.

8. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Chaplains...being religous? No way dude!

9. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

if the AF is so christian why is alcohol such a huge culture in the AF, LOL I have a bottle of grey goose and a bottle of jim beam both from my bosses for doing good jobs and I dont even drink (never have) and I didnt have the heart to tell them that diet coke would have been just as good,

10. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

that's the old guard, and it's starting to change. the time-honored traditions of squadron bars (in flying units) and drunken squadron activities is slowly being pecked away. our squadron bar now has a root beer tap (which would have been blasphemy about 10 years ago), and our wing leadership is starting a hard-core crackdown on drinking activities. it's probably not a coincidence that our commander happens to be a fundamentalist christian who doesn't drink.

the glory days are fading fast, my friend.

11. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

I think that our squadron being a join AF/Navy could also be part of the alcohol aspect...the navy guys are drinking all day, if they arent flying they are drinking

12. tattooed_sailor

tattooed_sailor New Member

Even in the Navy there has been a huge shift towards encouraging regular visits to the chaplain and crackdowns on drinking even if there is no behavior problems.
    I personally was singled out by my command DAPA and CMC for owning ten bottles of alcohol (I had a small bar set up in my room, which I was allowed as an NCO). I had never had any issues with alcohol, but I was told I needed to recommend myself for DAPA screening because I owned an inordinate amount of alcohol.

13. MrRyan

Not really the point of the article....but whatever.

14. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

I consider myself to be a non-right wing conservative (more centrist) and that was a ridiculous read.

Whatever. I don't believe it's as bad as the author says it is. Too bad he didn't do his son a favor by encouraging his entry into the Academy...surface conformity is easy for some people. After he got out he could do whatever the hell he wanted within regulation...but the Academy would have given him some great background.

Sad.

15. c.a

c.a New Member

I'm a devout christian, but i do find it somewhat puzzling that the chaplain prays at the beginning of all military ceremonies..

16. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

The maintainers will pick up the drinking slack.