A&P The BEST digital SLR camera around?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Salohcin, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Salohcin

Salohcin New Member

As per the title really. What's the best digital SLR camera? Whichever camera takes the best/clearest pictures. Price isn't really an issue, unless it's like $10,000.

Ease of use might be important too, as I don't really have the time to learn all the 400+ functions and settings and so on.

2. limiteD*

limiteD* 今あいたい すぐあいたい

3. Salohcin

Salohcin New Member

Yeah, I know I'm supposed to search for this but none of them would be up-to-date with the latest technology.

Nice to see that there are some so helpful users here :rolleyes:

4. The_Eagle_Has_Landed

The_Eagle_Has_Landed New Member

how about some pics from europe

5. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

6. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

the canon 1ds...i really hope you don't just go buy one because you will be disappointed...these pro cameras require post processing

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

21 megapixels
    iso only to 400 :hsugh:
    only 1.5fps :hsugh:

hows about the canon eos 1ds mark II

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  8. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Canon eos 1ds mk II

Nikon D2X

as far as power goes, dispite the 4 megapixel difference, they're basically evenly matched. The D2x stomped all over the 1dsmk2 in color reporduction too :fawkd:

And if price isn't a concern, wanna pick me up a 17-55 f2.8 dx while you're at it? Thanks d00d!

9. SpiderOnTheFloor

just get a 20d and shut the fuck up

10. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

If you only realized how stupid your question is, you'd understand the responses you're getting. There is no such thing as the best DSLR, its a matter of preference. I prefer nikon over canon so I bought a D70. A person who prefers canon may buy a 300d/350d or 20d. More entry level photographers are buying the 300d/350d's because of the price.

11. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

get a point and shoot then. thats the purpose of a dslr is to be able to adjust all of those 400+ settings

12. sony

sony Active Member

It depends what you're shooting or the main intended purpose of the camera. Hard to say without this kind of information. Some cameras are better at certain things, but you'd be hard pressed to find a lot of people agree that one camera is the king of the hill.

13. Salohcin

Salohcin New Member

If you only realised how much of a novice I am (i.e. NO experience of other digital cameras except a CoolPix which I fcked up and hardly used), you would understand why I ask so stupid questions.

Everybody has to start at the bottom. I assume that even you did.

14. delslow

delslow my car may not be fast, but the back window goes d

i'm 'starting at the bottom' but at least I don't sound like a dumbass like you. Your camera question is like someone new to riding motorcycles asking, "What is the fastest bike that I can buy? I have no experience and learning how to ride properly is something that I really don't want to do"

15. SpiderOnTheFloor

yeah sounds like the 1d is the camera for you...its great for beginners

16. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

He was asking Whichever camera takes the best/clearest pictures. Not the fastest or the highest iso. Currently the best clearest pics would be from the Mamiya.
    Mamiya vs. Canon
    Effective pixels 22 million vs. 16.6 million
    Sensor size 36 x 48mm vs. 36 x 24 mm
    A/D Conv. 14bit vs. 12bit

17. redheat86

redheat86 New Member

I havent looked but i assume that mamiya is medium format as well.

18. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

C'mon, some of you sound as silly as him. The whole, "you should start with a lesser camera till you learn" argument is a stupid one. Every dslr out there functions the same way. Learning on a full end pro camera is no different than learning on a used Canon D30. If you have the money to buy the best, why the hell not?

If you want one of the best ones then I would look at the Canon 1Ds or the Nikon D2x. For me personally though (even as a Canon shooter) I think the Nikon is a better deal for the money. You will not notice the difference between 12 and 16 megapixels and for the difference of several thousand dollars its a much better deal.

But if you have a preference of one brand or the other, go that way. I think both have great glass (used both extensively) and both do great jobs at what they do. If you are more into sports or anything fast moving, the Nikon will also be the preferred body as it is faster than the Canon and also has a crop mode that makes it just as fast as anything out there at a 6mp image. If you are simply out for the highest resolution and speed isnt as much of an issue, go the Canon.

But with either be prepared to be on a steep learning curve. DSLRs are not like point and shoots and you either need to learn significant post processing skills (photoshop) or you need to experiment a lot and adjust the in-camera settings till you have output you like. Its very unlilkely you will just pick it up and start making photos you are happy with.

If you have the money, go for one of those and you should do well.

19. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

even still, there isn't such thing as the best camera. thats like asking what is the best car on the road...no such thing. If you had asked what is the best camera for portrait photography or studio use, that would narrow the selection down.

20. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

i would get a 300d. there is nothng better

21. SpiderOnTheFloor

i <3 mine

22. Salohcin

Salohcin New Member

You are quite correct. However, if price wasn't an issue for me and I asked for advice on the fastest car around, people would suggest Ferraris/Lamborghinis/etc and, more often than not, their reasons for believing that their chosen car of advice is better than others suggested. That is the sort of advice I am looking for.

Nonetheless, I agree with you - I should have made it clearer what type of pictures I would like to take with the camera - to take your analogy further, it would be like asking which car would be best for off-terrain driving. Ferraris, etc would hardly qualify for that and I would have had a better set of advcie. It would have been pretty obvious that I should have done it, but I overlooked it and I will not do so in the future.

Despite my question being stupid, I have had quite a number of good responses and I have a MUCH clearer picture of what sort of camera I should get. This causes me to think that perhaps my question isn't as stupid as it first appeared to be.

(Thanks to all who contributed to this thread with advice)

23. SpiderOnTheFloor

well...make sure to let us know which camera you decide on

24. angel_fiire

angel_fiire ******

Learn the basics!!! Just because it's digital doesn't mean that it will do everything by itself, take a photo class or something, then get yourself a DSLR. you'll be able to use or enjoy it to its fullest after [font=&quot]acquiring[/font] some knowledge. My point is why would you get a mark II if you woun't be able to understand it's full potential? IMO it is a waist of money. Now, if you just want a camera to play around with, more than a P&S but that gives you enough options(controll o exposure, shutter speed, iso.... etc), get a digital rebel, 30D, D70....., all of them are great cameras. So first get some knowledge, acquire some baic skills, find out what path you want to take and then make the investmen.

there... my 2 cents
    good luck! ^_^

25. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter