the best 600 for me.....

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Boudreaux, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

what is the best all around 600, im talking specifically 3 catagories, speed, looks, rideability....im 6'3" and a shade over 200 lbs, which bike would fit me, i have been learning on my friends old cbr for like 4 months, and now i want my own....

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i fyou like the cbr get one of those

3. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

oh, i should have specified, "i want one of my own bikes...." the cbr is kinda getting old....

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i meant if you liek the feel of teh crb why not look at getting one

5. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

Most of the modern 600cc SS bikes have more power than you'll ever need, and enough to get you from zero to oh shit in no time. Is this your first sportbike? If yes and you absolutely want a 600cc sportbike then get an F2/F3/F4. In my opinion, they're exactly what you're looking for. Kawi ZX6R & Yamaha R6 are the other two. A word of warning thought, the R6 is very sensitive due to steering geometry & riding position. Take an MSF course and invest in full leather.

6. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

yes yes, i knwo safety is a must, and my mom wont let me touch a sport bike unless im wearing full protection, i am sure that a 600 is what i want...the main ones im looking at are mostly the new 2003

CBR
    GSX
    YZF

7. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

You're on your own. They are to new, even magazines don't have the results yet. Besides, I always oppose newbies getting brand new 600cc SS anyway, doesn't matter how "mature" they are or how many people think that you'll be fine as long as you keep it under certain RPM.

8. Dr. Feel Good

Dr. Feel Good Yeah Baby This is All Part of a Routine Check up,

I'd forget about a 600 and go for a 2003 GSXR 750. My first bike was a 96 GSXR 750 and it was perfect for me, 6'4, 195 lbs, so I say go with a 750...also go with the GSXR its pretty much bike of the year every year. :bowdown: To the 2003 GSXR 1000!

9. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

Are you serious? :slap:

10. car54

car54 Guest

Why dont you just skip right ahead and buy a gsxr1300 Hayabusa? Itll kill your dumbass faster than any of the 600's.

Just FYI: You WILL wreck your first bike. It goes without saying. Buy somthing cheap, used, and old. Maybe a kawasaki ninja 500 or a sport toruring style bike. maybe a honda nighthawk 750. These are all much better choices than a 600. a 600 has a small motor, but due to your size it may not be the right bike for you. I'm 6'1 and 230 lbs and I cannot ride a 600, too small, after 5 minutes i'm ready for a bigger bike. I ride a kawasaki ninja 1100, although thats sold for a gsxr1000 next spring.

But since you want a bike for looks, get that hot 600, youll look great dead in a ditch, and even better yet, the cops will see yet another sportbiker dead, and will look down at me and hit me with the book for a simple speeding ticket because they are sure ill eventually die, just like you.

listen to your mom and dad. dont buy a sportbike for your first bike. They handle, accelerate, and stop too well, youll never gain any skills other than twisting the throttle and hitting the brakes. I personally learned to ride on a $100 Yamaha Virago750 cruiser. It ran on one of the two cylinders, and only the rear brakes worked. I never wrecked it, i never wrecked my ninja, and I dont think I'll wreck my gsxr1000. why? because I learned how to ride right on a bike that didnt accelerate or stop very well, that teaches you how to carry speed thru the corners and how to ride smooth. Now I dont recommend you learn on a deathtrap like I did, but damn skippy, stay off the sportbike.

11. -=Likwid=-

-=Likwid=-

i didn't wreck my first bike.. . the fairings were already wrecked :big grin:

i'm hoping to get a cbr 600f4i pretty quick here as my second bike... but i'm pretty damn safety concious. I've taken my course already, been riding for lil under a year no problems. Just stay sharp, and be weary of really fast/large cars/vans/etc.

again, be sharp. otherwise it'll cost ya.

:bigthumb:

:bigthumb:

12. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

okay, i HAVE been riding motorcycles since i was 8, started off with dirtbikes, i liked my friends cbr, so he let me ride it really quick one day about 6 months ago, no, since hes been riding for 15 some-odd years, he's teaching me how to ride, its not like im getting on the damn thing with no experience...im not that stupid......:slap:

13. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

:bowdown: Well, you have been riding since 8 so why even bother with your friend teaching you how to ride a street bike? Go out there and get the fastest, newest, full-fairing bike. I heard the Hayabusa is a very good first street bike. :rolleyes:

14. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

i didnt mean it like that, and he is teaching me becuase im one of the smart ones that know sport bikes are a whole entire differnt world then dirt/enduro.....that is all.....

15. Dr. Feel Good

Dr. Feel Good Yeah Baby This is All Part of a Routine Check up,

Yeah seriously, If you can ride a 600 then you can ride a 750, either way as a beginner you need to learn how to handle your bike and the engine power isn't the greatest problem that he'll face.

16. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

I totally disagree with this. The power will be his greatest challenge when it's his first street bike, especially when you combine with the low torque peek of a high CC engine. A 750cc SS bike will be way too much for any beginner. You're better off starting with a used half-fairing street bike, then upgrade later. It will be much less expensive than replacing fairings on a brand new bike, or even worst. Regardless of how big you are, start small and work your way up. Why smaller bike? Because then you don't have to worry about managing the power and spend more time concentrating on your form.

17. jb

jb Guest

Hey would a 2003 R6 be insanity for a 5"8 125 pound guy? How protected are you in full leathers?

18. Y2K-6R

Y2K-6R Guest

You sir a moron - "you will wreck your first bike. It goes without saying." 2 paragraphs later, " I never wrecked it, i never wrecked my ninja, and I dont think I'll wreck my gsxr1000." :rolleyes:

19. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

I'd suggest a used F2/F3, older Ninja 6E, SV650, or other older 600cc if you want to start with 600cc class. A used Kawi EX500 will be perfect because it has enough power for you to get around, and slightly heavier than the new bikes. It's also half fairing so much less to fix if you drop or crash it. Once you upgrade, it will be much easier to manage the weight in corners. Oh, 03 R6 is way to much for you if it's your first bike, but not for that height & weight. In full leathers, you're mostly protected from road rashes. On the streets, before you slide to a stop, you'll most likely hit something hard and leather doesn't protect you from that. Most motorcycle deaths are due to blunt force to the body, then follow by head injuries.