GUN the best 1911?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by snaphu4life, Jan 29, 2003.

1. snaphu4life

snaphu4life "you had me at balls..." OT Supporter

Hey guys, looking for some suggestions here, I recently fired a Colt 1911 for the first time and I love how this gun feels. So I'm looking to purchase one, but I would like to hear some feedback on different models and brands besides colt. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

2. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

Look into kimber, wilson, springfield armory, STI. ah hell I know there are more but that is a good list to get you started. basically if you are a casual shooter and don't want to spend a fortune, stick w/ colt, springfiled, and kimber. (even these guns are not cheap but not in the ballpark of wilson or STI)

If you are a beginner, get a springfield or colt milspec, should run 400-500. after you get used to it and decide if you like shooting 1911's then you can send it in and get it customized accordingly.

my .02

3. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

what's your budget ? ;)

4. taco

taco Guest

for a normal buyer a kimber or springfield.

there are better 1911s but they are really expensive 2K +

5. snaphu4life

snaphu4life "you had me at balls..." OT Supporter

Hey, thanks for the input guys, I'll definitely check out those models, price is really no object, so dont hold back on the ideas.:bigthumb:

6. Red Hunter

Red Hunter Guest

I was at a gun shop the other day and I asked the guy which gun he prefers, he said that he liked 1911's the best, but to stay away from Kimbers. Reliability issues I think.

Just what I heard....

7. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

if price is not a problem.. look at Wilson, Les Baer and STI.

ive heard the best things about Les Baer, out of this group.

8. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

yeah, that the price is sky high.

9. novass

novass Guest

I was taught with the 1911s while in the military so I stayed with them. I have two springfield armory versions, both are better built the the GI issue version so Im happy with mine. Im not saying they are the "best " but for the price they are a very good deal.

If you get a 1911 you will find you need more practice than some other semi autos that just point and shot. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE ! And be carfull if you carry cocked and locked.

10. J812MANY

J812MANY Guest

IMO Wilson makes the best "carry" 1911 based handguns. They're a little pricey though. I bought a NIB Colt 1991A1 (series 80 1911) for ~$375, then I bought a Wilson Hammer/sear kit, extended beavertail safety, ambi thumb safety,aluminum adjustable trigger, and a full length tungsten guide rod with a heavy recoil spring, along with a Pachmyer wrap around grip and pachmyer extended slide release (I'm left handed). With the heavy guide rod repeat shots with high power heavy loads are really easy. The recoil is directed rearward with very little muzzle rise. I've had people with built Springfields comment on how much more controllable my 1911 is and how they liked the trigger pull. Even though its got a factory sear and the original series 80 safety the adjustable trigger eliminates most of the trigger slop that occours in a factory 1911.

All in all I've got ~$800 in it, I've put 5,000+ rounds through it without any major problems, with the factory barrel and sights you can keep 2.5" groups @ 15 yards. It may be a little on the heavy side, but its reliable enough and has enough stopping power to trust my life on it.

JK