The "Beginner Bike" hype is total BS

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by James Yeager, Dec 2, 2007.

1. James Yeager

James Yeager New Member

Where on earth did this "beginner bike" stuff start? I see guys waste money buying a bike to "learn on" and then buy the bike they want. Skip that part and just buy the bike you want to begin with.

We don't have "beginner cars" and we don't need "beginner bikes". Go take a MSR course and then get on your bike and be safe.

2. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

so people start out driving corvettes, vipers and ferraris? oh wait, those aren't as fast as 600, let alone 1000s.

what do you ride, and pictures of the edges of your tires?

3. dew

dew Banned

omg im getting a ninja 250r:run:

4. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

Beware: 58 posts.

Is this a troll? If so, it's a damn good one.

5. James Yeager

James Yeager New Member

I am far from being a troll. Is this not a legitimate debate? I most certainly think that people waste too much money buying a bike they outgrow in a week. Aside from that the little twisty thing on the right handle bar makes the bike speed up an slow down.

Do small engine bikes not fall down? Are they not effected by Newton's Laws? Training wheels make more sense than a beginner's bike.

I am not a motorcycle instructor but I have had my license since I was 14 and I am 37 now. I have been riding motorcycles for almost 30 years and I have logged a lot of miles on a lot of bikes.

I teach good people how to kill bad people, I teach folks how to drive in dangerous places and ram and P.I.T. their way out. When I teach shooting or driving I teach them how to shoot or drive what they will be shooting or driving. Having to relearn a skill doesn't do my students any good at all and I would be doing them a disservice if it did.

6. FKY326

FKY326 New Member

yes small engine bikes fall down, but they are also much more forgiving that big engine bikes.

if you give too much throttle or grab too much brake on a 250, 500, 650, or a lower hp 600 99% of the time nothing bad is going to happen. where as on a SS 600 or 1000 you could do an endo, a wheelie, rear tire could slide around, etc. any of these could freak out a new rider and cause him/her to make a mistake.

i personally started out on a gsx-600 katana, wish i would have started on a sv650 but the kat did ok enough for me to move up. i've still got a 600 class bike but its a 600rr. it has plenty of power for me, and i dont ever see myself needing/wanting anything bigger than a 600 sportbike, esp since i ride twisties. (although i would love a gsxr-750, 1000 power with 600 weight = :bowhs:)

if you're buying a touring/ sport touring bike, i dont see any problem with buying a bigger bike to start since it will still probably not have a power to weight ratio close to a modern ss bike. my dad's last bmw was 1200cc with only 110hp (less than my 600) and weighted about 100lbs more.

like someone said above, would you give someone who has never driven before a 500hp car and tell them to go have fun?

7. zxghostrider

zxghostrider Sometimes you gotta hop on two wheels

I agree with the OP. I would much rather have more power then less, especially if I'm investing money into it. But hey, to each there own. If you don't trust yourself with that much power, then don't get a powerful bike.

8. aCab

aCab New Member

9. portajesus

portajesus New Member

Personally, I'm "learning" on my 50cc scooter :mamoru:.. and by learning, i mean how to control a two wheeled motor vehicle. Even though the difference in power is insane when you compare it with a 600, it still entails the basics of riding a motorcycle when it comes to braking methods, turning, stopping, proper acceleration ect.

10. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

Your a fucking idiot. We don't have beginner cars because we have someone driving with us, when we learn. Besides look at Nick Hogan, 17 year old punk that drives vipers and 500hp supras. He crashes all the fucking time and now he is in big trouble.
    For motorcycles people have to learn themselves. I have worked my way up from the small bikes to the big bikes. I know that someone who doesn't know what they are doing will get hurt real quick.
    If you don't want to start with the small bikes first then don't. The only reason your venting on here is because you know we are right.
    ASA LAMA LAKA one love

11. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

While I agree with this idea of no beginner bikes for me personally, I don't believe it applies to everyone. Everyone is different and we are all at different stages of learning. Therefore blanket statements of "only ride small bikes to learn on" or "we don't need no stinking little bikes" both fail to address everyone.

For some a learning bike is just the thing they need to feel safer and ride longer. For me however, I didn't want to buy small then upgrade so I bought a 1200cc cruiser as my first bike....and I bought it brand new off the showroom floor. It was an awesome first bike for me and I've ridden it for 5 years now and I'm more convinced that ever that I made the right choice.....FOR ME.

However, everyone is not me so while it was a great decision for me, it may be the exact thing that either gets someone else hurt or they are too afraid of the bike to ride often and develop their skills beyond the beginner level.

IMO it's much more important for the noobs to ride often and get comfortable riding in all different types of situations. They should pick a bike that allows them to do this.

12. James Yeager

James Yeager New Member

A fucking idiot? People sure have a set of balls behind a computer screen.

13. Junkie

Yeager, I ask again for a picture of one of your tires. It's much easier to learn how to turn well on a bike with less power.

14. James Yeager

James Yeager New Member

What do my tires have to do with my opinion? I have ridden as many miles as anyone on this board if not more.

15. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

No harm in a first time rider sitting on top of 100+ horsepower, right?

16. 00600

00600 New Member

Let me guess, you started riding on a KZ1100 when you were 14, right?

17. Junkie

tires show how well you can control your bike. I'm guessing you aren't showing them for a reason...

oh, and big difference between superslab miles, straight 2 lane miles, twisty miles, and track miles. miles alone means nothing.

18. 00600

00600 New Member

[​IMG]
    That explains it all.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=89483294&postcount=94

19. Junkie

yeah, I guess so. I wonder if he has ridden a modern 600, let alone a 1000 or bigger. nowhere near the same performance levels of cruisers.

and as i said, huge difference between freeway miles and other shit.

20. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I am in full agreement and the thousands of "responsible" riders who start out on bigger bikes every year tend to demonstrate the same.
    It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it. If you are mature enough to respect the bike and the traffic and the rules, you can start out on pretty much any bike that fits you.
    Considering that 600cc crotchrockets nowadays have more power than literbikes a couple decades ago, "starter bikes" mean jack shit. So if you want to start out on a 1200cc cruiser or standard, you are making a better choice than a 600cc sportbike in terms of power.
    If you're an idiot on a bike, you will be just as prone to fucking up on a 250 as a 1000.

Unfortunately we have way too many "Nikki Hayden Jr's" out there who think the only way to ride a bike is by buying a racer, dressing in full racing gear and then going out into traffic and practicing for the next moto gp. They are also the ones that cause insurance rates for all of us to go up as well as the constant onslaught of legislation to regulate and even ban motorcycles thanks to having the most accidents and insurance claims by far of all the classes of bikes.

as for "freeway miles" or "chicken strips", who the fuck cares where you ride and who the hell considers how far you lean a bike over in turns as a measure of your ability to ride a motorcycle safely?? There are people out there who ride sport tourers and even Busas as long distance tour bikes who have far more experience on the road than most other riders, who have never pushed the bike to it's limits because that's not their interest.

Seriously, If your intention for owning a motorcycle is to tour the country and enjoy the scenery or just for commuting around town to save gas, you are no more or less a biker than the kid who buys a racebike for trackdays. Biking is about enjoying the ride and the company of other riders, no matter what your style is. If you think one type of rider is less than another type, then you have serious issues.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  21. pitchblue

pitchblue New Member

:bowdown:

22. crunchy_black

crunchy_black OT Supporter

Imagine every kid as soon as he gets his license and gets a 1000'cc

Too many retards in this world,
    Kids always learn the hard way.
    Kid be dead, son

23. samonkahonk

samonkahonk New Member

hey please..generalize more. :rolleyes:

24. James Yeager

James Yeager New Member

You see a pic of one of my bikes and now you know everything about what I have ever done? My first street bike as a Susuki GS900. I have had a lot of bikes over the years and have easily done 250,000 miles during that time.

As far as bikes being more powerful these days there is that thing you twist on the right handlebar that makes the bike go faster. No matter how powerful the bike is that thingy controls the power output of the engine.

There will always be retards in the world and I still fail to comprehend why we are talking about THEM? I am talking about intelligent riders. The part I think is hilarious about this is I bet most, if not all, of the guys arguing never had some small starter bike THEMSELVES.

25. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Oh, so you can make broad, sweeping generalizations about every new rider on earth, but he can't make a much less broad generalization about just you? Okay.

You've never seen a high school kid driving a beat-up old Honda Civic, have you.

I mean yes, it's definitely a way to make money off people, but if someone would never ride a bike at all because they're afraid of the immediacy of the power and handling and the ease with which they can get themselves killed, then yeah, they're in the market for a beginner bike that doesn't pop a wheelie if their right hand slips a bit, and doesn't highside them without warning if they don't lean in perfectly.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007