GUN The Bauer Bag

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soybomb, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

In honor of the recent related thread I thought I'd post what I've put together lately to carry with me.

When I go to the office its a 1.5 hour drive each way through a pretty rural area and often late at night well past midnight sometimes. I've had to stay in a hotel and at friends places before when heavy snow came down while I was at work or I had car problems. I'm also allergic to gluten which means no foods containing wheat. I usually just carried some crap with me to work in a grocery bag but that got inconvenient and I wanted something better. I also wanted some more supplies that would get me through a night stranded, an earthquake or tornado that might keep keep me from going home for a day or two and other things like that.

First in my car I have a duffel bag with a complete change of clothes in it. It also has a couple bottles of water in ziplock bags, a big towel, and my firestarter pack.
    [​IMG]
    This ziplock bag has 3 18 hour large body warmers, a space blanket, 4 tea candles, a lighter, and two tubes of firestarter. In this case the tubes are what I used to get my brewing yeast in (unblown 2L bottles). Each tube is packed with many vasoline dipped cotton balls. I'll probably never need anything like this in the midwest but if the car is stranded on the roadside I won't mind the handwarmers, blanket, and tea candles.

Now we come to the bauer bag
    [​IMG]
    In the one outside pocket you'll see my water bottle. On the end is another pocket with a notepad, sharpie, and ink pen. I also drop my cell phone and ipod in here usually.

Lets look inside
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In the front left pocket I usually keep a small paperback I'm reading at the time as well as a few assorted snacks I nibble on at work. The front right pocket contains a toothbrush and toothpaste I use when I'm working a long day as well as a bottle of saline if I need to rinse my eyes out.

Also inside I have a little short term hold over food since it can be hard to find good things for me to eat that are gluten free
    [​IMG]
    Of course there's a big bag of jerky. The bag on the right contains several gluten free cereal bars, a few tea bags, some salt and pepper, a couple sporks, a gluten free rice krispie bar thing, and a chocolate bar. Not ideal meals but all relatively high calorie and somewhat diverse tasting. It could be stretched out over a couple days probably if it had to.

Next I have 2 other small zip lock bags
    [​IMG]
    The bag on the left is sort of a first aid bag. I'm debating if I want this bag to be with me all the time or if it would be better left in my car bag since I'm usually with my car. Inside it are several pairs of nitrile gloves, 15 or so 4x4" gauze pads, 8-10 alcohol swabs, a roll of 2"x4.1 yard stretch gauze, a 3" x 5.3' ace bandage, and a .5" roll of waterproof tape. Also a container of purell. The saline from the front pouch can be used to irrigate a wound. I only know basic first aid with compression, pressure points, elevation, etc to stop bleeding. I think this should give me some tools for basic first aid on the go. I would like to investigate some other blood loss stopping tools like israeli bandages.

The bag on the right is more of a convenience bag, although some items could be used in the emergency setting too. It has a bottle of ibuprofen, a tray of imodium, a tray of benadryl (see emergency use), matches, a lighter, breath strips, floss, cough drops, kleenex, body wipes, tucks flushable wipes, and a small boo boo kit. The boo boo kit has a variety of bandages, some alcohol swabs, a tube of neosporin, a tube of superglue, and a small pack of waterjel. This is something I'm much more likely to dip out of from time to time at work or on the road.

Is that everything? Whats whats this, another hidden pouch behind my jerky and some work papers?
    [​IMG]
    Lets peek inside
    [​IMG]
    Inside there's a couple moist towelettes because they're handy and small. There's a couple condoms because you never know where or who you might be spending the night with. There's a pack of ear plugs just because I've wanted them a time or two before. A USB drive contains some work information, some useful software, and an encrypted area full of my own personal documents. My p3at with 2 loaded mags and a pocket holster sometimes rides along too. We can't carry concealed in my state, but its handy for surprise trips to states I can carry in and is better than nothing for an unexpected stay at a motel.

I normally also have with me a pocket knife and my surefire aviator. The other things I would like to add include a surefire spares carrier with a couple batteries and and a bulb. I also need to find some good waterproofing material (I hear snoseal or nilwax) to go over the bag with. I'm also considering moving the emergency food bag contents into another lexan bottle that could be used if needed. My car bag might wind up with my 2m ham radio talkie in it as well as a poncho for wet weather.

Overall I'm very pleased with the bag for $25 (not including supplies). Its allowed me to finally put some basic stuff together that some people probably would say is over the top but I like having with me for the distances I travel. It sounds like a lot but really its pretty compact and light.

2. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

smart move man.

3. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Tripp do your 3AT slide? Looks nice.

4. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

You seem to have a good mix of provisions and tools relevant to your environment and needs.

Looks almost like an older CountyComm Bail Out Bag.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Thanks, actually jack fuselier nickle plated it. I think if I had another one done I'd be tempted to go with tripp but jack was half the price.

6. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Mags look treated, too, same treatment?

I might look into this. Of course, this would be after I send the newest 3AT back to KT for rail pitting on the receiver rails...

Edit: and I think you mean Nik Wax.

Otherwise, from a backpacker standpoint, you look golden. Maybe pack the Walther or 1076 for really nasty areas, but other than that, looks pretty well thought out.

7. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

you carry all that shit around with you at all times?

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I carry 2 bags at all time but all they'd help me do in a bug out situation is make some money fixing computers. :rofl:

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If by all the time you mean to my car, driven to the office, and inside my office, then yes.

10. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

what about when you go grocery shopping or to the mall?

11. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Good thing you didn't forget the rubbers!

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I live in a small town, the grocery store and walmart are like 5 blocks away, so no. If i'm driving more than about an hour or so I would bring it because I'll want my snacks and stuff.

After all the 100 pound backpacks full of textbooks I carried around campus, something this small and light just feels like nothing I guess.

13. Platinum_Thunder

I'll be the first to admit...it something bad happens, I am totally screwed.

14. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

second :o

15. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

:werd:

i want to build a bug out bag/go into the wilderness for days and try to find my way out bag.

16. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

in :o

17. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

survivorman's giving me ideas.

18. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

i'm down. you find the place. :o

19. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

As long as you have a gun on you, you'll be all right. Why make your own BOB when you can take someone elses? :mamoru:

20. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

:bowdown:

21. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

Wow, thats a lot of shit to carry around. I normally have my cell phone and I have OnStar too. :big grin:

It would be a smart move to make a package like that, but... I don't drive more than 30 miles from my house normally and I live in a metropolitan area. I guess I am not that paranoid. :o

22. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

Well, I don't travel when there is poor weather. If I knew I was setting myself up for a disaster or possible problems down the road I would prepare the best I could for it.

23. Crossett

Crossett New Member

Glorified man-purse :greddy:

24. Platinum_Thunder

Yeah, that's plan B when plan A doesn't work :o

25. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

It has a gun and jerky, it has to be masculine. Its practically a traveling gun show.

:gfight: