MIL The Army really needs to re-think promotions to SGT.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by brownfield, Jan 27, 2007.

1. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

I see too many soldiers coming in and fast tracking to SGT in 2 and a half years and don't know shit. They're leading soldiers w/ combat patches when they have barely been to the field and don't know enough but the stuff you study for the board. IMO you should have to be in for 4 years or on your second enlistment to even be eligible. Then commanders and First Sergeants should look at the soldier in depth and decide whether or not they should even send the soldier to the board. No more of this "you're an E-4, time to go to the board bullshit." And a combat patch should count for more points than a fucking PT test. I've been in for 3 years, was given the chance for WLC and the board, but I turned them down to make sure I knew how to lead soldiers like it should be done (more experience) before I even give it a crack.

2. ZaC851

ZaC851 New Member

Pretty upset you didnt make Sgt arent ya? :mamoru:

3. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

Nope. There's just too many dirtbags w/ high pt scores that make SGT. I'm happy where I am for now.

4. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

yeah we have these two baby ncos that are total kiss asses. I can't stand that shit.

as an e-4, I'm not going to respect or even listen to you when the only thing you've done to ensure you're in charge of me is pass a board.

5. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

seriously though, how the fuck am I supposed to stand at parade rest or drop and do pushups for the guy that puked in my car after drinking too much a month ago. fuck that shit.

6. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Commanders and first sergeants' hands are tied when it comes to promotions these days. Unfortunately the Cdrs / 1SGs don't know how not to promote a Soldier especially the ones that shouldn't be promoted. I try to do my part...maybe not as much as possible but I try to educate the Cmd teams on how to slow the whoa.

7. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

maybe it's because at least 1 half of my command team since i joned the army has been 100% ghetto ass gangsta n............ my commander threatened my life over giving him a mountain dew today.... the obvious choice was to give him one and walk away. fuck that monkey.

8. MrRyan

Expound

9. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Boy do I have something for you!

Now this is the National Guard, but still applies. There is a guy in my battalion that recently got his E6, in 3 AND A HALF YEARS! He got hired to a full time position (AGR) and his the biggest brown-nosing, backstabbing, sack rider you've ever met. He's the Bn commander's boy and has never led a soldier in his life. Case in point, a bunch of us were at Ft Indiantown Gap, PA for a Unit Level Maintainers course on a communications system. Our orders were through Saturday. Class finished a day early. I rode out to the Gap (3 hours from my house) with my friend Adam. Most people left on Friday for home. Adam and I stayed there and went to the on post bar that night and got shitty drunk. We woke up in the morning, went to breakfast to sober up and drove home. Then we find out that aforementioned SSG Assclown told the battalion training NCO that class ended a day early and had the orders changed to Friday. We stayed there because thats what the orders said. Now we find out that our last night of lodging won't be paid for. We should have just left early like everyone else.

10. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

details?

11. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

I just recently made SGT :noes:

12. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I agree.
    There is alot that should be looked at.

13. dubrocker

dubrocker sho nuff

should have taken that up the chain on the spot.

the military is just like any other company... learn the system and make it work for you. if promotions are being handed out, get your ass in line. turning rank down only leaves it open to another person you don't approve of. take the rank, get the next stripe, maintain your drive and surpass the brown nosing retards.

cliffs: more work, less crying.

14. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

the entire ranking system needs to be revamped...i believe i have discussed this and my theory on the boards before

15. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

wanna elaborate a little more, even if its in a pm or email. This is the kind of shit i will be dealing with in about a year. Being prior enlisted, i had a huge beef with the way promotions were at times just handed out

16. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

you're a fucking idiot for turning down a promotion ...

fuck that bullshit about wanting to know how to lead soldiers, you learn that shit with experience and you wont get the fucking experience unless you are put in that fucking role ...

you have no reason to bitch and wine, you brought that shit upon yourself

17. SeaMack99

SeaMack99 OT Supporter

I have to 50/50 agree. Turing down the promotion board is understandable to a point. The first couple times OK but if your looking at more than one year of tuning down boards then its your own fault. Atleast go and get your "P" so when you feel your ready, turn in points and get that shit done.

Now to turn down WLC is just fucking stupid. If your SGLs are any good you'll learn a whole lot about leading, why good/bad NCOs do what they do and a whole lot of other crap. Never turn down a school.

18. MrRyan

Discuss?

19. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter

This is a big discussion we (E4 and below) have at my unit all the time. Our unit puts us in positions to start giving us experience because they know promotions are coming....well maybe (points are at 798 for most of the E4s here) but in other units were they are not ready, memorize a few regs and questions....that makes you a SGT?!? No...and we are starting to get people like that in my unit and are starting to break down what good morale and order we once had. Now that there is someone with more rank that is only 7 months older than me and acts like a child when he gets mad, my motivation and morale have gone down the drain....and this is happening all over the Army. This is one of the main reasons I am ETSing. I'm gonna have to agree with your arguement, but not on your decision to pass on WLC because that's one of the experiences you need to become a better leader.

20. RoblesGT

fuck, i was leading Marines as a LCpl in Iraq ... screw that shit ... you should be trying to lead soldiers as a damn E-2 if you fucking can ...

21. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

dot

You just contributed to the very condition you are crying about. Thanks for the fucking help.
    dot v.2

And you turned down the very course that would have given you the knowledge base to build your experience on. :ugh2:

22. Patch

Patch New Member

Is it just me or does making Sgt in less than 5 years seem hella fast? If you can do it in 10 years you are doing pretty well here. Personally I think it makes for a more experienced, more mature NCO core if you slow down the process a little. Shit, you have to outshine the sun to make Cpl in less than 4 years here. :wiggle:

23. RoblesGT

yeah pretty much ...

for my MOS, 3043 (Supply), the cutting score for Cpl was down in the 900's at one point ... almost getting E-4 just for time in rank ...

its going back up but its still low compared to its counterpart, 3051

i've got friends that are Sgt's and not even 3 years in ... :hsughno:

24. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

I hate to see people make it so fast but complaining about it gets you nowhere. Just make rank and shut up. Atleast you get that many promotion opportunities that you can turn it down. I don't get to test for a few more months and if I make it I'll have a year before I actually sew on...

25. nietsni3

nietsni3 Guest

what happened? and how did you respond?