The Amtrak Wars

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Mr 20Valve, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

has anyone read them? :dunno:

finished the first book 'Cloud Warrior' & i'm halfway through the second book 'First Family' at the moment...

turning out to be quite an interesting story.
    some of the plot is a bit predictable, but im enjoying it thus far. (i havent been able to find a copy of the 2nd or 3rd Dune novels, so ive put that series on hold until i can find them :squint: ) - i found books 1 to 5 of the Amtrak Wars series in a second-hand bookstore for $3.00 each. :bigthumb: so i thought id give em a go.

for those that have never heard of it before, its a series set 900 years after a nuclear holocaust on earth.
    the story centres around a guy named Steve Brickman who is a pilot for the Amtrak Federation, a post-holocaust military society living in cities 1500 feet below the earths surface. they make raids to 'reclaim the overground' from the Mutes, the misshapen beings who inhabit the surface. battling with massive 600 foot long train-like tanks called Wagon-Trains, and Skyhawks, small one-man fighter planes, against the primitive Mutes, who have been able to develop telekenetic/psychic powers after hundreds of years of genetic mutation. (in a very small nutshell)

Lots of character development & an interesting concept has made it a pretty good read so far. :wiggle:

anyone else care to tell what they thought of them? or any questions? :dunno:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  2. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

just went & picked up the 6th book from the 2nd-hand store! :bigthumb:

in order

Book 1: Cloud Warrior
    Book 2: First Family
    Book 3: Iron Master
    Book 4: Blood River
    Book 5: Death Bringer
    Book 6: Earth-Thunder

whats next? :dunno: any idea?

3. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

I've never even hear of that series. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for them.

4. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

really? i'd seen them everywhere in book stores when i was a kid & never bothered reading them till now... (now that ive been able to find 2nd hand copies for $3 a pop! :big grin: )

another update then: just finished book 2...

theyve just introduced anotehr faction called the 'Iron Masters'... they sail in on huge paddle-steamers out of the east... theyre the Japanese! :eek3: they call themselves the 'Sons of Nissan'. :bigthumb: basically their level of technology is at that of feudal Japan during the late days of the Samurai, with the whole samurai get-up, katanas, kamikaze headbands, the whole deal...

looking forward to starting book 3 today. :coold:

5. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

Yeah, I popped on Amazon.com and looked them up to see if I could recognize the cover, I worked in a bookstore through high school and college (~7 years). They didn't stike a bell when I saw them. :dunno:

I'll probably order the first book sometime in the near future. :bigthumb:

6. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

:cool:

one thing that made me laugh when i first started reading was all the variations of current names that the author (Patrick Tilley if anyone's curious) has used...

its set in the year 2989, and a lot of the place names have been bastardised over the centuries, such as She-Kargo (Chicago), M'Sheegun (Michigan), Miz-Hurry (Missouri) etc
    and the names the Mutes give to their warriors... if its a name from the past, its supposed to endow some power on the bearer, like Blue-Thunder, Mack-Truck, Rolling-Stone etc... :rofl:

its been worth reading so far & the plot's developing quite nicely. :bigthumb: