The air resonator box fell out of my 97 integra. is it ok to not put it back in?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by NPT, Jun 2, 2007.

1. NPT

NPT Guest

my car's front right corner bit down on the curb a couple times due to my bad U turn skill :mamoru: and the damn air resonator box at that corner started cracking, sagging down and rubbing against the ground. so i finally pulled it out this morning. the car stills runs like normal. so is it ok to leave it that way or do i need to put a good one back in?

2. 8 Ball

8 Ball I'm taking my ball and I'm going home

As long as all the air going into the motor is filtered it will be fine, but if the air is coming from the engine bay that means the air is hot which really sucks for performance and gas milage.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's fine as long as you plug the hole where the resonator used to be connected.

4. NPT

NPT Guest

what should i plug the hole with? a (thin) piece of cloth?

the hole is right infront of the right front wheel, so i think it's separate from the hot air of the engine, no?
    like this:

the blue dot is the hole (where the resonator box used to be, apparently), and the red dots are the path of the pipe:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2007
  5. psyphre

psyphre User #58, OG ftw. XBL/IG - davzilla77

just leave it. it's fine

6. deusexaethera

The issue is whether the hole is upstream or downstream from the airflow sensor. If the hole is downstream from the airflow sensor, the car will run lean and you'll get pre-detonation in the cylinders. That's not a good thing for the longevity of the engine.

7. NPT

NPT Guest

:eek3: and how do i find out if mine is upstream or downstream? it's a Integra 97 LS

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2007
  8. deusexaethera

If it's closer to the end of the intake than the airflow sensor is, then it's upstream. If it's closer to the engine than the airflow sensor is, then it's downstream.

9. miahmouse

miahmouse crash test dummy

there isn't an airflow sensor on tegs (IAT, TPS and MAP). the resonator doesn't do a damn thing but quiet the intake down. Only disadvantage to leaving it out is that if the tube is removed you're pulling hot air from directly behind the radiator. You can ghetto fab a tube to go back into the bumper where a CAI would sit but honestly, it's not worth the effort...

edit:
    in short, don't worry about it...

10. deusexaethera

MAP or MAF, it doesn't matter...the point is you don't want air sneaking in past it by going through the hole, hence why it's necessary to look and see which side of the sensor the hole is on before saying it's not important.

11. miahmouse

dude, the resonator sits in the fenderwell before the damn filter. MAP sensors are generally on or very near to the Manifold, when one is used the airmass is calculated using the IAT/MAP and engine rpm's. He doesn't have any sensors in the intake system at all, MAP is on tb IAT is on the manifold. He could take the entire intake system off from the throttle body and it would run just fine...
    [​IMG]
    that's a pic of the resonator.....
    the only part off of that you really want or need is the oval shape tube connecting to the filter box. leave that connected to get colder air from the fender well...

12. NPT

NPT Guest

thanks

13. deusexaethera

miahmouse: Fine. I don't own an Integra, I was just explaining to the guy how to tell whether he needed to worry about the missing resonator or not. What I told him is valid regardless of make or model.

14. miahmouse

not trying to start a pissing contest. I happen to know a good deal about Honda's. But it's not valid if the car doesn't have an item that you're concerned about. It's like talking about a transfer case on a 2wd vehicle... it doesn't have one, so why get someone worried about it...

15. deusexaethera

You're telling me the car doesn't have a means to measure the amount of air coming into the engine?

16. miahmouse

it does it through a calculation... using Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor/Throttle Position Sensor/Intake Air Temp sensor and the tach signal, it calculates the amount of air.

17. dew

dew Banned

as long as its filtered air and water cant get in it then its fine.

18. deusexaethera

I understand that MAP sensors don't work the way MAF sensors do. My original point was that, regardless of how it measures intake air, the hole where the resonator used to connect needs to be upstream from the sensor (whatever kind it may be) so the sensor can get an accurate reading.

19. miahmouse

But why confuse the guy and cause worry. The title states "97 integra". If you knew the car you'd know there aren't any sensors in the intake system at all whatsoever... There's no point in mentioning them cause they don't exist. It's a completely different type of system in which this issue isn't even a concern...

If the car had carbs would you be talking about a MAF?

20. deusexaethera

You just said it has a MAP sensor! If the hole were behind it, then not all of the air going into the engine would get accounted for. That's all I'm saying, is to make sure whatever kind of sensor it has, make sure the hole is upstream from it.

If he had a carbureted engine and the carburetor were mysteriously not directly mounted to the intake manifold, then yes, I would still tell him to make sure the hole was upstream from the carb so the engine wouldn't run lean.

21. miahmouse

I give up... you fail to comprehend...

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

he does that often.

23. deusexaethera

You hush.
    Yes, yes I know you were giving him the answer to his question. I was telling him how to understand the problem better so he won't need to ask again. My way is better.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

your way is not better.

25. deusexaethera

I told you to hush.