The 993 vs 996 Debate ver 911

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Type R Boy, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Type R Boy

Type R Boy Guest

Which is the better car? Looks? Motor? As a platform for modding?

Those that have either one, what are you views on the cars as a owner, are there any major probs with either?

2. suckmyexhaust

suckmyexhaust New Member

best place to ask this question is going to be at 6SPEEDONLINE.com

3. Mountain Dude

Mountain Dude Here it comes, and there it goes, another day in d

996>All 911's

:hs:

4. M4A1

M4A1 :)

[​IMG]

I like it less bulky.

5. Type R Boy

Type R Boy Guest

From lots of the 996 owners who I have been talking to lately, the 996 is not really that reliable. The first gen watercooled boxer 6 cyls (both 996 and 986/Boxster) have lots of problems associated with them. The main one being Rear Main Seal failure that can lead to engine failure if not caught early and fixed. Another prob is that its hit and miss with the seals, some ppl get lucky and never have a prob, while others have changed it out more than once.

From a reliability stand point the 993s aircooled engine > 996 watercooled. But this is also because the air cooled motor was 25-30 years in the making and in its last evolution they pretty much perfected it.

6. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

While the 996 is newer and shinier and all that shizz, the 993 is the last air-cooled Porsche. It would still bite your ass in a corner if you didn't know what you were doing. The last REAL Porsche that took skill to drive well.

7. elysium

elysium Guest

I always wonder though, how well do 993 (and older) Porsches start-up/warm-up in cold weather? And how well do they operate in traffic for people who live in hot/desert states (Arizona/New Mexico/Texas/etc.) From my understanding of liquid cooling systems, both cold starts and hot traffic situations benefit from the constant circulating coolant. I would hate to be stuck in traffic for 5 minutes on my way home from work and blow a head gasket. :hs: I have seen plenty of daily driver 993's, but I still always wonder about their reliability under extreme temperature situations. Does anyone here have 1st-hand experience?

8. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

996 is probably a better car in just about everything I can think of, but the 993 is best looking 911 and one of the best looking cars of all time IMO.