The 90 Minute WalMart Detail.. :)

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by ScrapinSi, Dec 1, 2005.

1. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

So I took the afternoon off from work, and said "i'm gonna give the CRV a good scrubbing"... But didnt feel like buying claybar, etc etc... So I figured i'd just do a good job with what I had laying around... Pretty much all stuff from WalMart...

ZipWax Car Wash (I hate the stuff, but its all I had)
    Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss (had it laying around)
    Meguiars HotWheels Wheel Cleaner (ehh... worked fair with alot of scrubbing)
    Turtle Wax Wet N Shine Tire Shine (Hey.. It works!)
    Walmart MVP Orbital buffer with Terry Cloth bonnet (Not bad for $10!!)
    Absorber Shammi
    McCullouch 29cc LeafBlower
    Mothers Back to Black

First I washed the car real quick with a Sheepskin mitt & ZipWax Car Wash... Then dried it with the Shammi, and blew the cracks out with the leaf blower...

I then figured i'd do a nice thick coat of wax, as I dont think this vehicle has EVER been waxed... I put the first drop of wax on the hood, and the wife comes out "BTW.. I need you to watch the baby in about an hour and a half"... :eek4: You couldn't say this BEFORE i put the wax on? I dont wanna wax just the hood... Screw it... SPEEDWAX!!

I waxed the entire car in about 20 minutes... Quite possibly the worst wax job i've EVER done, but at least the vehicle has some protection now..

I then went over the whole car with Mothers Back to Black. This is the greatest stuff ever invented... Makes the car look brand new...

Here's the only pic i could get before my camera died (GOD FORBID THE WIFE PUTS THE DAMN BATTERIES ON THE CHARGER!!! :nono:)
    http://www.scrapinsi.com/photos/crv/P1010695.JPG

Not the best, but silver is hard to make shiny IMO... I REALLY wanna claybar it as it REALLY needs it... But I dont have time, or a garage, and winter is pretty much here.

Anybody have any recommendations for ways to fix paint knicks that are already looking like they are surface rusting? Anybody use those paint pens by... dupont I think? Are they any good? Or should I just use OEM Touchup paint?

I would REALLY love to take off that body cladding, and wax underneath it, but you have to pull the door panels off to take the body cladding off... Something I dont have the time or energy to do... :hs:

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Not bad for a one step product and cheapie buffer.

BTW, don't bother trying to put on a 'thick' coat of wax because it isn't going to happen. No matter how much wax you put on a car, only a small amount will remain after buffing off the excess. All you do is waste product and time. Since the Turtle Wax product has cleaners in it, putting on two coats one after another doesn't do much either (other than ensure complete coverage) because the cleaners will remove most of what you laid down.

You can make silver look very wet and shiny but you will have to clay and use a dedicated polish before waxing. Go through the stickies here and register at http://autopia.org and read through their forums and come spring you will be ready to go. :)

Definitely touch up the nicks, the dealer should have the proper touch up paint. It won't look perfect but it will look better.

3. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

I've done Claybar before... I LOVE it... I just dont have a garage, or all day.. :)

When should I put the touch up paint on? Anytime? before waxing? after waxing?

I already have the complete Autopia guide, and I LOVE IT.. Those guys are ANALLY perfect over there. :)

What polish do you recommend to really make it shine? Do you recommend a polish or a glaze?

Maybe i'll ask the wife for a PC for xmas... Too bad she never lets me have the time to use it... :(

I wish there was some way to get protection behind those body cladding panels... i'm scared to see what they might look like underneath... :ugh:

Do you recommend multiple coats of straight carnuba after polishing to get extra protection?

Also... What is your experience with Back to Black? It says to buff it off, but I pretty much just let it sit for awhile, and wiped it quickly... Seems to look great so far... Are there any problems with not buffing it off?

4. Scottwax

I recommend the stickies for most of your questions. I have never used Back to Black.

Claying shouldn't take you all day. Usually all you need to do are the horizontal surfaces, maybe 30 minutes tops.

If you want to do multiple coats of carnauba, look into Jeff's Werkstatt Carnauba Jett. Spray form, water/emulsion base, no solvents and layerable.

www.jeffswerkstatt.com

Collinite 845 Insulator Wax is very durable, one coat should suffice for 4+ months of protection. Just google the name.

5. tigerafro

tigerafro New Member

whats claybar and what does that have to do w/ winter?

6. Scottwax

Clay bars remove bonded contaminents that polishing won't. Leave them on the paint and the wax or sealant won't bond as well or last as long.

7. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

Think it would be bad to claybar & wax 1 panel at a time? Like lets say i have a little spare time (Which i HARDLY ever do)... Could I claybar and wax the hood for instance? Then maybe another day do the roof, etc etc?

The sides of this need a claybar BAD... This car had a very hard first few years of its life...

8. Scottwax

A section at a time when you are able is fine.

9. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi New Member

Then that is what I shall do. Thanks