GUN The 2nd Amendment refers to the National Guard

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by PorscheRacer, Jun 9, 2006.

1. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

The 2nd Amendment, ratified in 1787, refers to the National Guard, which was created 130 years later, in 1917.

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

Something tells me this bit of wisdom tricked down from the main board.

3. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

yay for well regulated militia.

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

The 1st, 4th, and 10th amendments refer to the National Guard too, since apparently, "the People" really means "the National Guard".

5. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

how the fuck could anyone think it means the national guard. the second amendment was not directed towards government controlled organizations:ugh2: :ugh2: :ugh2: that defeats the whole purpose

6. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

The right to to the most effective means for self defense (firearms) comes more arguably from the due process clause (substantive due process) than from the 2nd Amendment. However, based on the Framers' beliefs regarding firearms, I'm sure they intended it to mean individual ownership. "Original Intent" interpretation of the Constitution usually isn't the most useful method to use when arguing about this stuff nowadays, though.

That said, I don't think that I disagree that the 2nd Amendment provides for our gun rights, because I believe that. It's just easier to use a substantive due process approach to argue self-defense-related issues.

7. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

That's a load of shit. The 2nd amendment is there to protect our right to bare arms. It was put there to insure that we have a means to defend ourselves against our own government if it becomes too opressive. It's not there to insure that we have a means of self defense. It's not there to insure that we have a means to provide ourselves with food via hunting. It's there to make sure that the government has something to fear if it decides to start taking away our other rights.

8. kellyclan

It's simple grammar. The militia statement is an explaination, not a modifer. Everywhere else in the document, the phrase "the People" means all citizens. Why would it be different for a single amendment when it's worded the same?

9. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

It was written as a legal document.

A term is defined and used identically throughout the entire document. If another definition is needed, another word or term is used. "The People" is used multiple times throughout the document to mean the Individual Citizens IN ALL INSTANCES. It cannot be argued that it means a militia in the 2nd amendment unless you are willing to admit that it means a militia in ALL other parts.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  10. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

SO if your argument is that "THE PEOPLE" in the 2nd amendment means a militia, then you MUST argue as well that citizens DO NOT have other rights as laid out in the amendments or even the constitution itself. Shall we review?

We start right off with the term. No need to even bother here as it's self evident.

That means that the militia only has the right to peacefully assemble and have freedom of speech?

That means only a militia has the right to be secure, individuals have no right to a freedom of illegal search and seizure?

Then I guess your view of "The People" means we all have no rights?

Ditto?

Pretty obvious there. Wouldn't you say? Or do you want to argue it more?

So by all legal arguments, the definition of "THE PEOPLE" has been laid out repeatedly. It means one thing and one thing only throughout the entire document, INCLUDING the 2nd amendment.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  11. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

wrote that in an argument with an anti gun person, so it's directed at him and others in that thread. :)

12. hitnrun99

hitnrun99 New Member

Sssnake, that's the best summary I've ever seen. :cool:

13. F.O.D.

F.O.D. Guest

...but there's a comma there :squint::noes:

14. Aviator

Aviator Banned

I've always wondered...what the hell was the point of putting in the "well-regulated militia" part anyway? I can see how people could argue that the right of the people to bear arms is intended ONLY while part of a "well-regulated militia" which would have to be a little more than just a group of citizens with guns.

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Here's what started the 2nd amendment in the 1st sessions of the first congress:
    "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; a well armed and well regulated militia being the best security of a free country; but no person religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person."
    http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llac&fileName=001/llac001.db&recNum=227

16. kellyclan

They're explaining that it does not refer to hunters or even personal protection but is included to protect the ability of the people to raise a citizen army independant of government control. The first part of the sentence is an explaination for their reasoning. The second part is the actual protected right.

"Regulate" also means orderly and well-functioning, which is what I personally believe is meant by the word in Amd2, in addition to or perhaps even rather than regulated as in following a set of laws.

17. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

I'm not saying it's different. I believe in the same meaning of the 2nd Amendment as you. I'm just saying "original intent" and "pure textual" interpretations are usually futile when arguing with a liberal, no matter how truthful and correct those interpretations may be. A substantive due process argument is just more useful when trying to convice a lefty, even though the 2nd Amendment is clear as crystal to us.

18. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

What really pisses me off is that all we have to do is break out a BOOK of quotes from our forefathers. After reading several of them I don't see how any reasonable person could possibly misunderstand the original intention of the text. I understand when some pussy liberal sitting in his college class won't give up and just keeps arguing but when law makers and judges try to skew the law with their "interpretation" it really really pisses me off.

19. kellyclan

I know. But I've found any argument is futile. I just say "Then get it changed."

Then they too know futility. :bigthumb: