The 250 vs 500 vs 600 debate...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by The Acclude, Apr 7, 2004.

1. The Acclude

The Acclude Makin' love is cool, but sometimes she needs her h

...New Riders...

I myself have been looking for a cheap(<$1500 250(ninja) to get as a first bike, take the msf course, hopefully not get killed on. Is it just common bike knowledge that the older 600s & 500s are tottally to be ruled out for someone who is trying to be smart as possible about this decision?

Reason I ask is that ebay, my local cycle trader, everywhere Im tempted with older uglier 500 & 600 cc bikes (read: I cant find a cheap 250 anywhere) that really seem like they might be ok to start on. Ive read all the reviews regarding the newer SS bikes and there is no way I want one, espescially when the numbers show rookies = prone to crashing. The ninja 250 is where its at for starters I read., then again they say so is the sv650 which I saw in a blue color that matches my car :o Definately want it to be used, but there are so many opinions Im lost for what to actually look for now :-/

Last edited: Apr 7, 2004
  2. BlackCord96

BlackCord96 The Humble Magnificent.

You can start on a 600. You just have to take it slow. Just because you have a 600 doesn't mean you have to use all that power. I took the MSF and got my M1 about 2 weeks ago. Since then I've practiced on my friends 600 size bikes. I almost got a Ninja 500R the other day, but I found a 97 Honda F3 for a good price. You can get a Honda F2 for less than 2k.

3. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

if you can find them. I have an extremely hard time finding used bikes that are worth a damn. (this is because no one wants to let their fav. toys go.)

4. BlackCord96

BlackCord96 The Humble Magnificent.

Yup, i've beem searching for almost 2 weeks. I got lucky with this bike. '97 for $3400, 12k miles.

5. Pro Street

Pro Street New Member

the older 600s aren't bad. You could get a mid 90's ZX-6 cheap and it'd be a decent starter bike.

it's not about using the power, it's about how the bike acts to imput. a new rider will wristlock when they panick, and on a fast SS bike, that = trouble

the older bikes will hesitate before taking off, giving more of a chance for the rider to recover.

6. The Acclude

The Acclude Makin' love is cool, but sometimes she needs her h

The older 6's look better I think, but Im all about cost effectiveness since this is my first. I really like the sound of the 250s not being as throttle and brake responsive though. (Just incase of the panic situation)