GUN The .223AI Remy 700 project is underway.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Apr 18, 2009.

1. The .223AI Remy 700 project is underway. *PICS PAGE 8*

I went today and picked up a SPS chambered in .204 Ruger. It was the cheapest 700 I could find anywhere in the area @ $539. The best anyone local could do on a used gun was almost $800. :ugh: I called the biggest gun store in the area last night to ask if they had and SPS Varmints, and they told me they did. I drove an hour to get up there this morning, and it turns out the gun was the regular SPS, not the Varmint. That's ok, it was cheap compared to everything else. The trigger really isn't too bad either. The stock that it comes with is a pile though, and since it's the regular SPS, the barrel is the thinner profile. That'll be fixed though when I get my new barrel. My next step is to pick up a better stock, and send the action out to get a new barrel in .223AI fitted.

I've been looking at the HS Precision Police stock, which according to my reading is the stock that Remington used on their PSS model 700s back when they offered them. My dad actually has 2 of those rifles, and I've never had a problem with the stock. With the Brownells discount, it's just under $300. The Midway reviews for the stock are all 5 star too. Unless someone can point me in the direction of something better for reasonable money, I think I'll go with that option.

On monday I'll get in touch with some of the big barrel companies and see what my options are for a new barrel. Hopefully the lead time isn't too terrible.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2009
  2. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

$800?

My local gun store has the SPS Tactical in .223 for $649. :dunno:

3. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

So you basically paid $540 for an action?

4. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

looks like Washington FTL after all

5. And trigger. I didn't have to deal with a FFL transfer either. If I can sell the unneeded parts, then that'll help a bit.

6. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Valid points. Regardless, best of luck to ya. Someday, I'd love to add a .22-250AI to my arsenal. Destroying varmints at 700+yd. :bowdown:

7. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

I would've done a .243AI or a 6.5x284 :o

8. The .223 uses all commonly available components. And you can shoot regular .223 through it if you want.

9. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

[✓] yep

Looking forward to this build.

When's the suppressor getting ordered?

10. Can't use suppressors in WA.

11. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Welp, time to move.

12. Meh. Suppressors have never really interested me. The problem with using them on rifles designed for shooting tiny groups is that it's hard to get real good consistency with what goes on inside the suppressor.

13. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Havent you ever played counter strike? We all know they increase accuracy :squint:

14. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

15. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Have you considered a custom stock?

My dad and I built a costom stock for a old .22 he picked up at a gun show it is by and far the most comfortable stock I have ever had the pleasure to use.

You should be able to find someone with the skills able to build you something fit exactly to you for 300-500 bucks.

Hell it only took my dad and I 6 hours rough finish and we had to fit the stock for a butt feed tube and the bottom ejection port on the .22

A bolt gun stock would have been gravy.

16. reman

reman New Member

Another good non custom stock is the Bell & Carlson Light tactical

17. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

manners are pretty sweet too

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

Surefire fixed this.

19. I think this is the one I am going to go with. I'm trying not to let the cost of this build get out of control.

20. Everything but the barrel is sorted out now and on order. The stock should be shipping on monday from Brownells. My dies and other cartridge-specific reloading stuff are all on order from Midway too.

21. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

so how does it feel being watch by DHS

22. Yesterday I decapped about 2,000 .223 cases. This afternoon I'll be weighing all of my LC brass to pull cases of the same weight. They will be my AI cases.

23. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

Enjoy the rifle. You should have just looked for a 700 PSS.

I got my 700 for $899. You paid $539 for that model and another $300 for a stock? Now you are at $839 and you still don't have a decent trigger, barrel, etc.

I looked at going your route as well. Just figured I'd pay the higher initial price and go from there.

24. I went with the B&C stock on the recommendation of 2 knowledgeable people here and a number of positive reviews I found online. That stock cost $211, so my total for the rifle and stock currently is only $750. The new barrel should put me right around $1350. Buying the PSS model, and then replacing the barrel would have put me at $1500, and I'd still have the original stock.

25. Bloke

Bloke Banned

:wtc: