GUN The .17 Caliber Centerfire

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sportec17, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Sportec17

Sportec17 New Member

I think with out a doubt the most under-rated caliber around is the .17. First of all most shooters don't even know anything about this caliber...much less its existance.

Between my dad and I we currently have rifles in six different calibers, and if I want to go out target shooting for fun or maybe to do some coyote hunting, the first gun i'm going to grab is my .17. To me the biggest selling points are over 4000 fps out the barrel, moa accuracy, the ability to shoot out to 300 yds without thinking twice about drop, and best of all recoil no more noticable than a .22. Off the top of my head, the only other comparible gun that can rival these numbers would be the .220 Swift.

I don't know why this caliber has never caught on; it's possible that people don't want such a loud gun, which it is, without stepping up to a bigger caliber...I just don't know. I've yet to shoot the new .17 rimfire, but personally having a good .22 and a .17 centerfire is all I need. I don't really feel that there is a middle ground that i'm missing out on. I could maybe see having a pistol fitted for a .17 rimfire, Kimber's new 1911 model looks interesting.

Anyways, I just thought give share some of thoughts I have on this caliber, and I deffinately would reccomend it to any looking for an all-around fun target/varmit gun...and possibly a better alternative to the rimfire version.

Here's a ballistic table...
    http://www.remington.com/ammo/ballistics/centerfire/results.asp?cal=1

And my Remington Model 700 BDL...I have a nice 6x-14x scope on it too.(don't remember the brand right now) http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700bdl.htm

2. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Downside? Price.

3. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Most people that shoot a small caliber like that do it for small game or for target or cheap plinking.

A .22LR can't be beat for cheap target practice and plinking.

Since I find most people hunt deer with rifles they won't be spending the money on a .17

I want a .17 but there are several other guns above it I will get first.

4. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I'd go with .204 Ruger at this point, it's much easier to find and much cheaper.