A&P The 135 was designed to take pictures of little girls.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CornUponCob, Aug 3, 2007.

1. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

So I've had to work all damn day the past two days (8:30 AM to 8:15 PM)... but instead of not shooting at all, I brought my camera with me to the pool. If you were wondering I'm a head guard, head coach, and I teach a bunch of swim lessons.

The biggest things I notice about this lens are...

1. Focusing at f2 is a real bitch. Focus and recompose no longer works. If you're using center point and you're taking a picture of two people with a gap in the middle, you'd better change focal points or manually refocus.

2. The contrast and saturation straight out of the lens is impressive. I found myself knocking contrast back down to 0 and saturation down to 1 in DPP because they look so good straight out of camera.

3. 135 is a slightly awkward focal length for portraits no doubt... that's why I have to get the 85L... I may be developing L fever.

Anyway, here are some poorly framed pictures taken at my house and where I work.

[​IMG]
    Roommate playing UT99 against my other housemates. I guess technically this was my first shot with this lens... kinda shitty but whatever.

[​IMG]
    Yes, it's sharp and focuses well. I'm glad it didn't snap to his glasses instead of his eyeball. Only one eyeball is in focus. I need to start learning how much DOF I have at the apertures f4 and below.

[​IMG]
    I see you swimmin' dirty.

[​IMG]
    This picture is front focused, both of us were walking in different directions while it was being taken. I was just blown away by the bokeh though. Also, somebody needs to loosen her goggles.

[​IMG]
    Yes, her skin really is almost this purple. I bumped exposure up by a stop for a slightly high key effect. This is an example of how this lens really sucks color out of thin air.

[​IMG]
    It's rare (at least it has been for me) that you can see your own reflection in some body's eyes.

[​IMG]
    Again, I'm loving the color this lens can gather.

[​IMG]
    Higher aperture should have been used, but shooting at f2 is just FUN.

[​IMG]
    Belongs to the girls who appear next. And yes, I did take better framed pictures of this dog, but I just wanted OT to see his wacky eyes.

[​IMG]
    One of my boss's daughters.

[​IMG]
    Both... Sometimes I guess this lens is too sharp (holy complexion batman). Of course I could fix that if I wanted to.

[​IMG]
    The other. For these three pictures I think I was already backed up against a wall. Somewhat of an example of how 135mm can be awkward for this kind of stuff.

[​IMG]
    One of the things I planned on using this for was to shoot indoor swimming. Since I've been stuck at work, I haven't been able to, so I had her swim a little butterfly. When shooting at f2 about half of these images were OOF (butterfly kinda does that though, their face only pops out of the water for a second. Shooting at f4 makes it a lot easier, but the shots aren't as impressive. I'm willing to settle for a bunch of missed shots due to focusing so long as I end up getting a few superior ones). I did use a flash on this. I guess I wish I hadn't because that hot spot draws even more attention to her forehead.

[​IMG]
    Again, shooting at f2 is hard enough. Focus is off by about 1.5 inches which is all it takes.

[​IMG]
    One of my guards. Again, only one eye (the rear one... how'd that happen) is in focus. Still fun to shoot at f2 but I'm sure enough OOF eyes will ruin the fun of this soon enough.

[​IMG]
    Impressive light-gathering capability of the lens, but at 135mm camera shake is still quite an issue.

[​IMG]
    I guess I've come full circle and opened and closed with an image of this guy. No he was not posing, and yes there is camera shake, but I still like it. I did the standard "high contrast low saturation" treatment. I mostly just like the way his hand looks. Lighting was the TV.

2. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Nice lens.

IBTomash

3. kristin

kristin my dog > *

I love the water butterfly shot and the color the lens picks up :cool:

4. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

jesus that's sharp