The '06 Buell Ulysses

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Frequency, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Frequency

Frequency New Member

I know im the only real buell fan around here but i was at a demo ride today and they had the new buell there and all i must say is wow this thing is insanely huge
    I believe they are trying to toss in some more competition for BMW.

First thing i noticed is the height was insane i'm 6'1" and i hopped on it and i was forced to tippy-toe it

I wish i there was a chance to ride one but there was not, took a 1200 sportster out instead was a fun little ride.

Also i wish they would have added some of these features to older bike, but will incorporate them into the new models.

Lots of underseat storage along with 2 12v outlets, i think this is nice for long trip can keep your cell underseat charging.

The triple tail on the bike is ok if you would use it but i think it really throws off the look of the bike.

**Edit forgot what i did not like red lines at 6k, yea i know its not alot of shiftting but my city-x redlines at 7500 if they can just get another 1 to 2k before redline and add a 6th gear it would be very nice
    Link to bike...
    http://buell.com/en_us/bikes_gear/ulysses/xb12x/index.asp

Yes i know - im a buell semi-sac-rider

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  2. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I like the looks of the Buell's, but thier engines leave something to be desired to me, at least on paper. This 1200cc has the same power as the 750cc engine in the Kawasaki Z750. The Buell is a twin, which probably gives it a better torque curve than the inline 4 of the Kawasaki, but with 1200cc, I would have expected a little more. Same with the Blast. I like the way it looks, but it's 30 cu in (~500cc) single cyclinder only manages 13 hp over my 200cc single cylinder scooter engine. I'm looking for a "real" bike in the future, and the Buells have the look and utility I'm looking for, but the engines just don't seem to be very efficiant. Right now, I'm really liking the Suzuki V-Strom DL650, 650cc and 66 hp. But if you like the Buells, good on ya, don't let these swine beat you down! Us outsiders need to stick together!

3. ecofire

ecofire Member

The Buells just have really tricked out Sportster engines. They definitely don't have the high peak horsepower numbers like the japanese inline 4s do, but they have tremendous low end torque being a harley motor. They also don't have those crazy ass top speeds like the other bikes, but they get there fast as hell and handle very well. The Blast is just a junk bike that they make for beginners. I'm not sure how the deal works, but I believe if you buy one, the dealership you bought it from has to give you whatever you paid for it when you trade for a real bike.

4. Frequency

Frequency New Member

hmm never heard of that deal...

Straight line riding is boring anyone can ride fast in a staight line...
    now the twisties is where the fun is and i hold my own very well against the guys i ride with

5. Frequency

Frequency New Member

can anyone see clean's post? i know he posted but non of his posts in this forum are showing for me

6. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

a ton of my posts got pruned when Glen's acount got hacked.

7. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I agree about the straight line stuff. My scooter isn't too quick or fast in the straight, but it's plenty fun in the twisties, you know, for what it is. I'd actually like to see the dyno plots for these different engines, so I can see where each one has it's power. I know peak power doesn't always equate to how much space is under the curve, like an Integra GSR has higher peak hp thann my Impreza 2.5RS, but my Impreza has more space under the curve, and has the grunt down low the Integra is missing. And it handles really well, even though it's not the fastest or quickest compact car. Same kind of think I'm looking for in a bike. Didn't realize the Buell had a Harley engine in it, and I know those have the torque down low. Kind of thirsty though, aren't they?

8. Frequency

Frequency New Member

yea tricked out sportser engine, people love to put them in kit bikes too, one guy says he was finishing up a kit bike with buell engine 140 horse

i get decent mileage on mine avg. 50 - 60 mpg

9. Frequency

Frequency New Member

thats what i figured it was

10. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

This is exactly right. This is the reason I can't find the bike I want next. There are so many good choices.
    I too enjoy riding fast through turns. The short wheelbase of the Magna helps, but the antiquated suspension doesn't help.

It always brings a smile to my face when an instructor on an old FZR400 or Ninja 500 can embarass students on newer more modern 600s.

11. Imagine

Imagine New Member

I personally like the City-X, but my wife HATES the look of Buells. She won't let me buy one. lol Besides they are a little pricey. I know they have quality components, but when you compare that to what you can get for a Japanese bike it makes it a really tough decision.

12. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Buells are awsome around town bikes. I'm a Buell fan and also own a Blast.

13. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

I love bikes and love buells style. It's not one of the bikes that are on my priority lists but I still love them nonetheless.

14. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

I'm going to stepping up to a lightning SG next year.