GUN That town in Id that wanted to make guns manditorty passed the law

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Nov 16, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:bowdown: :bowdown: This was posted awhile back when they were debating making it law well it passed this week.
    Idaho Town Asks Residents to Own Guns
    By JESSE HARLAN ALDERMAN
    Associated Press Writer

November 16, 2006, 3:48 AM EST

GREENLEAF, Idaho -- After seeing the chaos of Hurricane Katrina, a city councilor in this tiny Idaho town founded by pacifist Quakers came up with a novel idea.

Ordinance 208, passed by the City Council on Tuesday, asks Greenleaf's 862 residents who do not object on religious or other grounds to keep a gun at home in case they are overrun by refugees from the Gulf Coast.

"This is not an 'it'll never happen here kind of thing,'" said Steven Jett, the ordinance's sponsor. "We could get refugees."

In this town about 35 miles west of Boise near the Oregon line -- where an estimated 80 percent of the adults already own guns -- the proposal hardly caused a stir: It went through weeks of public hearings and drew only mild criticism from the pastor of the town's Quaker meeting house.

But in the six weeks since Jett first introduced the ordinance, national media have flocked to the story.

Jay Leno ribbed Greenleaf in his monologue. Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" telephoned, no doubt to exploit Idaho's reputation as wild woodland where mountain men shop for groceries with a rifle slung over a camouflage jacket.

Jett, whose father died in a hunting accident, said the ordinance is designed to enable residents to protect themselves, but it also gives the city a better platform from which to promote gun safety.

"The fact that Greenleaf supports the Second Amendment, we'll be able to keep the crime rate down," he said.

The thing is, Greenleaf doesn't really have crime. At least as most cities define it. The most violent offense reported in the past two years was a fist fight.

Still, Jett insists, the menace of high crime may be on the horizon.

Greenleaf is on the western fringe of Canyon County, a fast-growing suburb of Boise. As developers turn alfalfa rows into tract housing and hay bales into big box stores, Jett wants newcomers to know that criminals will not be "comfortable" in Greenleaf.

"We don't have a crime problem," he said. "But this area is going to grow and we're going to keep it that way."

Pastor Alan Weinacht originally opposed the ordinance because it conflicted with the Quaker teaching of nonviolence. Based on an unenforced 1982 law in Kennesaw, Ga., it originally require all homeowners to own and "maintain a firearm."

"It made owning a gun a basis of good citizenship," Weinacht said. "I don't know. It just seems we're slipping as a society into a culture of fear."

But then Weinacht, who owns several shotguns and rifles for hunting and target shooting, discussed the law with Jett. Jett softened the language and allowed for personal or religious exemptions.

On Tuesday, Weinacht, one of four residents to attend the council meeting, announced his support. "I want to be a team player," he told the mayor and four council members.

With that, the council approved the ordinance, with Councilor Clovis Strange joking that it had become "gutless."

Mayor Brad Holton, who owns about 25 rifles, laughed at the fact that Greenleaf's gun law had been put the town into the national media spotlight.

"It's been a wild ride," he said.

2. Gimik

Gimik New Member

awesome. As that town grows we should see some interesting figures.

3. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

that's pretty cool for a town to do that, but i doubt they'll actually get refugees all the way in Idaho from Katrina.

what doesn't make sense is why they even thought to have a law when 80% of the residents already own a firearm. Why doesn't the local gunshop just have a sale for the other 20%?

4. Gimik

Gimik New Member

because it's good to get the law in before they grow and add a bunch of sheep.

I'm really hoping this town grows a lot so we can see what type of crime rates it will have. I'm betting they won't ever have a very high crime rate with the manditory gun law.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

That sucks I want people to be as free to have a gun as people would be free to choose not to have them, not legislate what I like.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Its in Idaho I don't see a population boom happening :mamoru: But yeah it is nice to see a progun law going into effect for a change.

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Noones being forced to have a gun.

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

They are free to not own guns...
    Of course they're not really worried about the whole refugees thing, but it's a good lever for them evidently. The anti's don't have problems using levers, so I don't see what the problem is with us using one. :dunno:

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

So its mandatory. But not at all.

10. Gimik

Gimik New Member

pretty much :hs: It means very strong gun support in that community though.

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

They should of done it to require everyone have one "evil" rifle at home.

12. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

so if you don't have to own one if you don't want to then what the fuck is the point of passing this?

13. mvizos

mvizos New Member

There is no point. It's mandatory, unless you don't want to, or can't because you're not legally allowed to. It's pointless.

14. Gimik

Gimik New Member

well, it's a PRO gun law though. as a gun owner, you should get more support from that type of community.

I wouldn't want anyone to be FORCED to own a gun anyway.

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Nah we should support less laws. The anti's pass laws reflecting their personal preference, I think we should take the high road and only legislate what is neccessary.

16. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

intelligente!

17. Gimik

Gimik New Member

It's not working though... when we HAVE to pass laws to protect the constitituion, something is WRONG.

18. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

It's actually not pointless as it puts the law into the books. It then makes it harder should later on down the road, someone wants to enforce restrictions/bans, it will be harder because they first have to have this law repealed.

Boise is a pretty liberal city and the influx of people there means suburbs expanding out that way.

19. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I can see it now as the town is trying to help this new law out, giving guns to those that dont already have them, the liberals panicking not knowing what to do, trying to push them away when they are handed them :bowrofl:
    Theyve been taking our guns for years. Now were making it mandatory for them to own them. They may be resistant at first, but soon the virus will take over. Muhahahahaha!!!!111uno1

20. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

What's the point of the law? If you can just say I don't want a gun because my god doesn't believe in them, or "I don't want a gun because I think xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

Why even have a law? You're gonna have people that want guns, own them already, or at the very least were planning on buying one anyway. Then on the other side you'll have the anti-gunners, who will claim they don't want a gun because they sneak off at night and kill children. Then you have the mix, who when they find out they have to spend several hundred dollars on a gun, or claim they sneak off and kill children. Seems like a worthless law to me :shrug:

21. Gimik

Gimik New Member

because it makes it harder to remove rights later-on.

22. mvizos

mvizos New Member

if the people later on get to the point that they want to put in more restrictive ordinances, they'll have the votes they need in that town council, or whatever, to remove this ordinance from the books first(if they're able to add new laws, they'd probably be able to remove existing.) Which will have made this ordinance pointless. I'm glad to see it, but I really think it's pointless

23. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

+1

24. IMO it is good to make people unsure to feel obliged to own a gun?

I suppose criminals are not allowed to though.

wouldnt surprise me it some smelly,filthy loony lefty liberals tried to dump some refugees there.

25. YesterdaysGone

YesterdaysGone Iced Out Platinum Member