That huge Zaino thread on Autopia....

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Scottwax, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

...seems to be more than a few Zaino Nazis butthurt because I don't bow down to Sal Zaino and his almighty creation. I swear, they are like Amway people or those who have just found religion and don't realize how much they turn people off to Zaino.

Best of all though, seeing that clown RIC get owned. He regularly attacks Anthony Orosco and me to a lesser extent. Made some idiotic comment about me having issued with using ZFX and I reply back about him having issues about having to shake Optimum Car Wax, and that he said if he had known you had to shake it, he wouldn't have bought it. :wtf: No problems buying and mixing ZFX but heaven forbid having to shake a bottle. :mamoru: Anyway, he claims he never made that statement and since the search function isn't working for me there, I couldn't find the thread but some else did. :Owned:

Oh, and the 'optically clear' crap? Layering? I have yet to see any independent testing that proves either. In fact, I know someone with a chemical engineering background who has done a chemical analysis of Zaino and based on what I was told, I have my doubts it truly layers like the Zaino Nazis believe.

You know, Zaino is actually a pretty good product and if the new Clear Seal is as advertised, it seems like it will be an easy to use (no mixing, not picky about what you put it over) product that will probably sell very well. Too bad the Nazis are so obnoxious about it they turn a lot of people off to Zaino.

:rant2:

2. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

I used Zaino Polish back in 89-92 on my Corvette and I liked it. They changed the mixture and it didn't work like it used to, so I stopped using it. My point is I'm sure they have good products, but I like what I have and there isn't a compelling reason to try them, let alone switch over. No thanks on the koolaid for me.

Autopia is valuable (like any other forum), when people are providing/exchanging info in a constructive manner -- unfortunately the ranting is what has kept me from joining in their festivities. Some days that forum is too big for its britches. LOL!

Sorry you got yanked into the frenzy, Scott. Stay your course and don't get suckered into a meaningless type-fight over brand. It isn't worth it. You, Justin, Patrick and the other pros are appreciated here. :)

3. Pats300zx

Pats300zx New Member

I wouldn't blame Autopia for the behavior of some of the members. The forum is one of the largest detail forums around and tends to attract all types of folks. Granted the forum does have its share of Zaino zealots who can be annoying at times. However, the wealth of knowledge and information that can be obtained from some of the more senior members is worth it in the end.

Autopia doesn't have the BS rules about posting pics of details etc. IMO its a great all around detailing site.

4. ixero

ixero New Member

I like Zaino products. Z8 is one of my favorites as well.
    I've never really believed the hype though, Z-FX really seems like snake oil sometimes, especially for the price.
    I've learned to let the Z Zealots be. They can use whatever they like on their own cars.

5. Scottwax

Agreed. Definitely the best detailing forum online. :)

I heard that about Zaino Paradise. I don't get it, detailing is VISUAL!

I guess they just don't want non-Zaino details posted to show that with proper prep, any LSP is going to look really good.

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

is that the same thread where the OP was on sal's nuts about the new clear dry wax or whatever it is?

7. Scottwax

Yeah. I have a feeling he was a plant all along. When he first started posting, he bashed Zaino all the time. Tries it and now is their biggest cheerleader. Several others who were resistant to Zaino (mostly because of the Nazis) tried and it and liked it, but not enough to go nuts over it. Everyone talked about how Meguiars NXT was hyped but Zaino is way more hyped and frankly, I don't think it lives up to the hype.

8. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

They're all over the domestic boards (Zaino Nazis). I started using it way back when I owned a Camaro because the Show and Shine forum on CamaroZ28.com is/was run by a Zaino distributor and regardless of your detailing issue, the only response was "Zaino can't be beat in any way for your application."

Well, since reading this forum, I have started using a myriad of different products and I'd say all suit my application far better than Zaino ever did.

9. Scottwax

That is that they don't seem to understand. Not everyone looks for the same thing in a finish. Take Collinite 845 for example. Very durable and a lot of people love how it looks. To me, it looks too bright, especially on dark colors, while Meguiars #16 has a surreal glow that I love and others think it adds little to the finish. Different eyes interpret things differently.

Plus, without proper prep, no LSP will look its best. Nothing like eleventy billion layers of any product over swirls. :noes:

10. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

:werd:

Zaino is a great product without question but all it does is give a really "glassy" look without any depth. I love seeing the way a street light runs down the side of a proper carnauba'd car. It just looks so wet and deep. Zaino is great if you really want a mirror though.

11. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I can't believe I haven't looked at this post Scott!

You know how I feel about Zaino. I've never used it and will never simply due to how Autopia alows for it's excitement and promotion. I was temporarily banned for just my excitement of AutoGeek's products and service. I'm sure it's an "ok" product but I'll take NXT any day over it and save myself a ton of money and have the looks to boot!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  12. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Thank you sir!!!

Hell, I can go to the store and buy all my supplies there, do a car and post pics and 90% of the members would believe it was anything that I told them I used!

13. Scottwax

I can't believe how much they are sucking each other's dicks in that thread now. I bet Sal could take a shit in a bottle and call it his new leather dressing and they'd comment on the awesome "nutty" smell. :mamoru:

He is a hell of a salesman, I'll give him that.

14. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

I use Zaino and I'm very happy with the results... but I do not preach "Zainoism" like some of the people I know.

To each his own. If someone is happy using Turtle Wax I could care less.

15. Scottwax

Too bad some of the Zaino Nazis can't do the same. It is like a personal affront to them if you don't use Zaino. :dunno:

Hell, I use a little bit of everything.

16. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I'm gonna post "NXT owns Zaino" thread tomorrow. I'm doing a car that will only be done with Meg's products and a guaran-damn-tee you no ONE could tell the difference.

We will see their reaction. I bet no one can keep their fooking mouth shut.

17. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

I've kicked around submitting my car after a coat of Klasse to Zaino's website and seeing if they notice. :mamoru:

18. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

They wouldn't ........promise you that.
    90% of paint is all in the polishing prep. I could polish out a black car and top it with NuFinish (orange bottle) and everyone would love it!

To me, the sign of a good detailer is interior work. Take a nasty interior and clean it and then you've earned a days work!

19. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

20. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Zaino nazi's are the scientoligists of detailing :o

21. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

[smacks forehead] Oh, the petty drama....

LMAO! If nothing else, it is a good laugh at how people can themselves all worked up over something. What's next? Rioting in the streets and cars (non-Zaino, of course) being turned over...all in the name of Zaino? C'mon!

22. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

The brand of wax you chooose is overrated...95% of users, in my opinion, couldn't distinguish one brand from another in a blind test.

Proper preparation (wax removal, clay, compounding, swirl removal) is FAR more important than choice of wax. Wax is just the final 10% of paint perfection.

23. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

:werd:

Clean every radio and HVAC button and switch, clean every cup holder perfectly, steam clean the vents, clean all windows and mirrors with no streaks or towel lint, get every last piece of lint, dog hair, and human hair out of the upholstery, fuck...clean the seat tracks. THAT's detailing that people will pay for.

24. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

AMEN Brotha!!!!

This is why I love doing motorhomes. Exterior only!!! And 12.00 per foot!

Buffing them is easy.....just large flat panels.

Have I mentioned that that I can't even look at the letter "Z" now?

LOL!

25. SantorinA4

SantorinA4 New Member

Speaking on Zaino. A friend bought me their starter kit for X-Mas. :o I don't really want to use it because I like what I use and I don't want to deal with the time it takes to use Zaino, but I don't want to hurt his feelings. He keeps asking if I have used it yet and I haven't.

Oh, and he is a Zaino Nazi. :ugh: