MIL that GI bill navy times...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by widds2v, Aug 8, 2008.

1. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

I just read it and noticed a couple pages in to the article it said basically that the new GI bill only covers 100% of in-state tuition.. first I've heard of this, was I just so excited about the new GI bill I missed this? Pretty much forces you to go to a public school in the state you are a resident of since in-state is generally only 1/3rd of what out of state tuition is.

Example [email protected] where I want to go is like 8k for in-state vs 27k for out of state. So the GI Bill is only going to cover 8k and I would be expected to pay the other 19k?

If this is true it's no better (could be even worse) of a GI Bill if you live in IL or Texas (dunno what other states offer it) that offer free 4 years of tuition at any public school in the state. I've already looked at like Univ of IL and I would be getting $950/mo for the "BAH" from new GI Bill vs $1300/mo from old GI Bill.

2. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

so it would be pretty damn hard to use while your still active duty

3. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

dont use your GI bill during active duty. use TA. You're not going to be using much more than it offers (unless you have a skate ass shore billet).

4. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

yeah TA for my masters will get me a shit degree, the programs I want to do are 700+ a credit hour

5. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

yea I am not too happy about it

6. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

i was also reading that some schools or at least private schools were going to offer to cover the difference in tuition. not sure if this applies to "in-state" or "out of state" or ifthat applies to private schools. I imagine it will be a bit more common for schools to allow you to attend even if you are out of state but we'll see.

7. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Who needs GI Bill anyways when you're ballin like a mo'fo

8. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

i'd be pissed if i was from somewhere like idaho. i've only actually met like 3 people from there, im sure their colleges aren't all that.

IL sucks weatherwise but at least for the major i want they have decent programs.

9. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

aaaah come on LT we know u officers are bawlin out of control. u can pay the difference out of pocket :mamoru: