SRS Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Guz200sx, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

I'm wondering how do other people cope with not being with certain loved ones??

I live in Florida w/ my wife & daughter. My parents live in Virginia and my wife's parents live in England. This is my first real Thanksgiving away from parents. My wife has had numerous holidays where she has been away from her parents. I believe they moved to England about 2-3 years ago. So although its hard for her she has gotten somewhat used to it. My wife also has family down here in Florida so this year it could be a little easier for her since most of the family here in Florida is from her mom's side (and they are very close).

But for me it will be a little harder...Last year we invited my parents to our house (in VA) and we had a Thanksgiving dinner together. But now we are moved away and I feel bad that my parents don't have any other family/friends in Virginia so they are going to be alone and not just for this holiday but also the rest.

I miss them and wish they were nearby...at least for the holidays.

:oGuess I just wanted to get that off my chest...

2. FrEaKsHoW 24/7

FrEaKsHoW 24/7 Member

I've had similar feelings when I first moved out and got married. It was hard for me because I felt like we were honoring all her families traditions and none of mine. After talking to the wife, and helping her understand how I had no local family, we've made a more concentrated effort to honor more of my traditions in lieu of not having my family there.

I realize this may not help you, but it helped me immensely knowing if I couldn't have my family with me, at least a part of me was with them by doing the things we used to always do.

3. tibbar

tibbar aww fennec foxah aww

This will be my first thanksgiving alone. I just broke up with my girlfriend and we had planned to go to her parent's house for thanksgiving (age 23), with that falling through I decided I didn't want to go to my mom's house (too many annoying people that are going to be there [my mom's friends]) and I don't want to go to my dad's house (he's too annoying). So I'll just spend it alone. I'm kind of looking forward to just sleeping in till whenever I want and playing video games and watching movies and doing whatever the hell I want to, and I don't have to stuff my face with turkey.

Sorry for the block of text.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I've spent many holidays alone and many times it's by choice. It's not really all that bad but given the choice, I usually pick spending time with family.

How did I cope? Well I talked about my plans and found other plans.

For example, one time all my family members were out of town and I didn't have the money to join them so I stayed home. This was Thanksgiving so I told a good friend and he invited me to spend it with his family. It turned out to be really cool and fun and it's been a great memory of mine for many years now. They opened up their home and shared it with me and I was really humbled by their generosity.

There was another time that this happened but it was Christmas. I was kind of down so I told a different friend what was going on and he said, "I'll call you back." When he called back, he invited me to a Christmas Eve dinner at a friends house who I didn't know at all.

I picked up some food and went to the dinner feeling very awkward, alone and kind of pathetic. They welcomed me in like I was one of the family and we ate like kings. There was soooo much food there and it was really good. Everyone was pitching in to help and afterwards we all cleaned up then settled in for a night of movies. We ended up watching like 4-5 movies and just had a blast laughing and joking around. It was seriously one of the best Christmas Eves ever and I never would have experienced it had my family not left town.

So don't "suffer in silence"....tell people what's going on. Tell them how you miss your family and wish you could be with them. Open up about your feelings and what's going on with you and be open to all possibilities. If something doesn't come up then you can find things to do that make you happy.

Hotels usually serve traditional turkey/dressing/etc dinners and the people working are usually in fantastic moods because fuck...they're stuck working on a holiday. You can help feed the homeless......nothing will get you out of your pity party like helping someone else less fortunate. You can visit the elderly in a nursing home.....imagine how shitty it is for them with no visitors and they're stuck in the home cuz they can't drive.

There's lots of ways to spend holidays that will help relieve your loneliness and homesickness and fill your heart with joy.

I hope you have a happy holiday. :hug:

5. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

Well I'm going to be working on Thanksgiving so I won't really have a Thanksgiving dinner this year and thats not helping things but I am taking comfort that at least I will be getting good money out of it.

After much discussion, My wife & daughter are going to be going to her family's house and spend Thanksgiving their.

6. JudyVu

JudyVu New Member

I'm only going to be with my bro this Thanksgiving, but it's quite alright.