MMA Thanks Tameem

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Gogoplata, May 13, 2009.

1. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Tried working some of your overhook half guard stuff last night again.. I hit two triangles from there and finished both.. I couldn't do shit with it against experienced blues and a purple but against newer blues and advanced whites it worked well. I'm going to keep toying with it. It doesn't really fit into my game - but it's fun to tinker around with stuff like that. Keeps things interesting and fresh.

Had a great class last night at my academy. 25 people and 3 guys in from visiting academies. My old instructor even came in - I think he is trying to get hired coaching there. Didn't get a chance to talk to him much after class, it got late since we run Brazilian time.

Anyone been playing with the overhook/half guard game of chechens? Any success?

Does anyone else have any interesting pieces of their game that they find work well? If so, share them. I've been having fun experimenting lately.

2. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

i've been hitting it on a bunch of people, like you said the triangle works for the newer people the best. However when i try to hit the triangle on purples or above they stuff my hook and i can't bring my other leg over to finish the triangle. They also block my hips so i can't create an angle to pull it out. Anybody got a tip on how to get the other leg free?

also i've been playing with the chinstrap guillotine alot. Both diego and daniel love to use it and i've been trying to imitate them. Throws people off and it's there in all positions. Been hitting that one alot too.

3. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

^^^

dengar said he was having the same problem getting that second leg to finish. I'm a bit smaller than both of you guys and I'm decently flexible - so I was able to pull it. I can't remember if chech abandons the overhook when he goes to hit the second leg, but I did. Too much going on to try to get the leg over the over hook. When I abandon the overhook, its the perfect time to hip out to the side to get the angle.

Another funny/weird/gross story. Fucking Brazilians.. Nasty fucking shit.. So dudeman shows up to class last night.. It's the end of the night and we had a DIRTY hard warm up.. We're in live rolls and I take his back.. He's real skinny so I'm able to lock in a body triangle (rare for me with short legs).. He's got tight grips on both lapels. I break one grip and trap the arm. This nasty mother fucker uses his TEETH to block the lapel that I freed. He's got his nasty ass fucking gi lapel in his MOUTH to block the choke/armbar.. He did it for a couple of minutes. Surprisingly, the fucker had a strong grip on it. I think I was so disgusted that I couldn't muster up the energy to break it.. YUCK..

4. OnionPeel

OnionPeel New Member

I've been pretty successful with sweeping when having an overhook/butterfly guard.

5. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

My coach loves the 5 finger guillotine too.

I like the rolling kneebar from guard/half guard. Works great when someone is trying to stuff your knee for a pass. I just go with their movement by shoving my leg between theirs and invert my guard with an underhook behind their knee. Then triangle their thigh while I'm upside down and stretch out their leg for the sub. I like it because it turns a defensive position [avoiding the pass] into an offensive one.

6. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

^^

Flexible bastard!

C'mon bastards. Lets talk about JiuJitsu.. What else can we talk about? Anyone pick up a new Gi lately? I picked up a Fuji in blue that I'm liking. It's pretty light, sturdy color and after a vinegar wash to set up the color - it's holding color great. My only complaint with it is that it has a VERY short skirt. Thats good when my opponent is trying to choke me with it - but sucks when it comes out of my belt on almost every roll. Overall, I'd give it an 8/10.

I'll probably use it this summer and then pick up a 4th gi in the fall. My Warrior One gi is the fuckign thickest, heaviest gi ever. I love it in the winter time. Everyone hates the collars on that thing - fucking THICK...

I think I will try either a Shoroyoll or Spartan next time.. I've had Atama, HCK and Koral in the past..

7. prophit

prophit OT Supporter

I've got a 2 Koral and a Keiko Raca and I'm looking for a fourth right now. So far I sorta prefer the Korals... If you had to double up on any of the gi's you already own which one would it be? Im sorta thinking of tryin out an Atama next but I've heard the quality has gone downhill. :dunno:

8. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Atama and Koral are over priced, IMO.. I know that they are considered the "best" gi's - but for $85 my Fuji is pretty fucking awesome..

Gameness are cheap but have shitty ass pants that rip quickly..

Shoroyoll's are supposed to be pretty nice and apparently they make an ultra light that is sick.. My next gi I'm going to spend the $$ and coin up for an ultra light model.. I've got my "parka" Warrior One and my Fuji is nice middle weight but I want an ultra light.

I wouldn't double up on any of mine. Part of the fun of being a Gi whore is trying out new stuff.

9. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I still like my Kikskin.

10. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Only reason I like your kikskin is because when I see pics of it, it usually includes baby pics.. Nothing like the cutest baby and ugliest daddy pics!

11. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

prob gonna go with a vulkan or keiko for my next one.

12. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

oh i currently own a koral classic and atama mundial #7

13. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

vulkan gets good reviews from everything I've heard. Be sure to make a thread if you get one.

14. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I've got an old kikskin that I trained in multiple times a week for almost 2 years before the knee finally gave up. Got it patched and still use it on occasion.

I have a couple of cheapy worldorf gis and they kind of suck, but we'll see how long they last.

15. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

My 2 favorite gi's are an Atama Mundial and my new Vulkan ultra light. I have a Fuji too and it was nice until it shrunk to half it's size.

16. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Please write a quick review on the Vulkan Ultra Light.. I've been contemplating it.. Review, fit, feel, weight, price, etc..

LOL @ Fuji.. Don't put those fuckers in the dryer!

17. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Assface, try one of these as well
    http://www.dsmma.com/html/gis.html

the price is right and apparently they kick ass.

18. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

lol @ "one size fits all", non-bleached MMA gi..

NEXT

19. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

My howard gi lasted about 18months before the sleeve ripped, my vulkan lasted about 1 year before the jacket and pants ripped, currently rocking a mundial #7, although i dont like the pants much. Probably going to pick up a MKM soon.

20. Killyin

Killyin Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies.

I've got a Koral MKM and a Koral Classic. Love them both.

21. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

I had a HCK too.. Thing was indestructible but mother of god it was heavy.

22. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

I like the MKM, but the sleeves and parts are just a big too long.

23. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Sleeves were good on me but the pants were too long. The waist cinched up on me fine..

I know it's a dope gi - but you should REALLY, REALLY pass it on to another Cager. Would be epic. See how much guys we can get to use it..

24. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

As far as the overhook thing goes, theres a few guys at my gym that are really good at passing with the underhook and head on the mat, so I tend not to intentionally take it. Id rather work a half butterfly with an underhook or even a lapel grip and work to lift and off balance the guy and sweep by reaching under the guy's leg thats not trapped in your half guard.

25. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

modified flower sweep then?