Thanks OT H&CA forum.. here is my system.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wongerbonger, May 4, 2004.

1. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

This is what I will be getting and hopefully all installed within 1 month (i'm still in school, so its harder to get it installed)

2 Phoenix Gold Ti15ds powered by a Hifonics Brutus BX1500D amp

i'm still looking into a deck (although i have an okay jvc deck right now) and maybe component speakers

but On_One or 04, do i need a capacitator for my amp ??

:bigthumb: to all those who helped out

a double :bigthumb: to On_One

2. On_One

On_One Guest

No a cap won't be needed. IMO as well as many others they are nothing more than a flashy waste of money. The only thing a cap will do is possibly help with headlight dimming issues. However there are much cheaper options to deal with this problem (i.e100,000 micro farad cap wired directly to head lights) If you do have issues with power draw the first and foremost thing to do would be uprage your "big 3" under the hood. The "big 3" refers to the wire connectinsx from the alt to battery, battery ground to chasis, and engine block to chasis. Doing so is 100 times more effective than a cap and costs a fraction of the price. If you need help installing your system i'm more than willing to give you a hand if your willing to take the drive to San Mateo or Pacifica. My weekends are pretty open and i would'nt mind getting another car under my belt ;) Glad i can help:)

3. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

thanks for the offer, hopefully my friend can wire everything up.. but if i have any problems i'll send you a PM.. San Mateo isn't that far from my house

4. On_One

On_One Guest

:cool: Hope every thing goes good! Don't heistitate to PM if you have any kind of questions. Did you decide whether or not you are going to go ported?

5. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

i think i am going sealed bc it takes up less sf

6. On_One

On_One Guest

It's a good thing you went with the BX1500d. I'd try to go with the largest enclosure possible. Did you intend to install them on the sides of the cargo area?

7. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

yeah, im trying to install them on the sides...

im trying to keep the most cargo area as possible.. and i'd also want to be able to pull the cargo cover over them

8. On_One

On_One Guest

Got some rough dimensions to work with?

9. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

no idea..

i'll get a good idea of what the dimensions will be when my friend builds my boxes..

10. JDub

JDub New Member

actually, if your electrical system is weak enough, and the lights dim enough, it can be a strain on the amps' power supply and create excessive heat, and heat leads to damage. It might take a while for that to blow the amp, but it's a possibility... A powercap might help in that case, but it'd be better to upgrade your electrical system in that case. But yeah, what On_One called the big 3 really helps. I only did the battery to chassis one because it's the easiest and my electrical system is good enough to support my stereo. Oh, I do have two 1 farad caps, though, cause I got them cheap :big grin:

11. 04

04 Guest

Actually, a weak electrical system would mean the amplifier would get less current. Less current means less power available for heat. However, if you have a stiffly regulated power supply, then it would draw more current as voltage dropped. The thing is, the car wont "force" extra power into the amplifier and cause it to overload, unless for some reason the alternator is producing voltage well above its nominal levels. If the amplifier fails in a low voltage situation, you were either playing the amp too loud for too long, were driving a load too low in impedence, or the amp is junk to begin with.

Think about it this way. If an undervoltage situation created excessive strain on an amplifier's power supply, every time you ran your system off the battery without the engine on, you would be hurting it.

A capacitor in no way would help fix that. If your electrical system cannot put out enough current to begin with, a capacitor wont magically produce power from nowhere.

12. JDub

JDub New Member

Well, the way I understand it is that voltage shouldn't be a problem. Amps are made to operate from approx 10-14 volts, so that shouldn't be a problem. if you drop below that, your battery is dead and you won't be able to start the car anyway. I agree with you in the regulated power supply sentence. But I don't mean that the amp will overload, but that the power supply gets strained trying to keep the amp's internals at ideal operating voltages, and this causes heat. I guess that would be from the increased current draw. That's how I understand it. I duno how correct or incorrect that is.

I have seen capacitors help a headlight dimming situation, but most of the time they're only bandaids and the only good solution is to just upgrade the alternator.

13. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Damn at first you were talking about getting one twelve, now you are getting two 15's. Are you sure you know what you are getting yourself into? That is gonna be so damn loud in your explorer. I just wish you lived on the east coast so I could hear it. My single eD 15A is really loud, I just wish I had a vehicle that would accomodate a ported box, but the sealed box still sounds really good.

14. 04

04 Guest

If the amplifier is regulated heavily and cannot maintain its output within its regulated operating range without tolerating the excess heat, it is junk, and you shouldnt be using it. That is of course assuming you arent driving the amplifier with a close to 100 percent duty cycle or something crazy like that. If the amplifier is loosely regulated, then it wont be a problem at all, since the less voltage input, the less current draw.

15. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

haha.. yeah i know, i completely went with a different direction in what i wanted to get..

blame it on On_One :fawk:

16. On_One

On_One Guest

:big grin: But hey i told you 1 15 ported would be enough ;)

17. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

yeah.. but two 15s for $232 was too good to pass up

18. On_One

On_One Guest

:werd:

I think you will be very happy. If for some reason your not i'll take them off your hands :big grin:

19. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

:rofl:

well if i realize that i cannot fit two 15s in my car to my liking :hs:

then i may part with one.

i just recieved them in the mail today.. HOLY SHIT!! :eek3:

they are huge... pic will be up when i get em

20. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

yes, 15's are quite large.

21. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

what kind of wires should i get?? any kind, or is there a certain brand that is better then others?

22. 04

04 Guest

They should perform similarly as long as they are the same thickness. Some power and speaker cables will be more flexible than others due to higher strand count though.

23. On_One

On_One Guest

knukonceptz.com

THey have pretty decent wire for a good price.

24. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

:bigthumb: i got my subs with pictures now

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

do you know what kind of wires i would need exactly?