Thank you Mac Genius!! But please...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Feb 11, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

Mar 10, 2005

I've had the lower memory slot issue on my PowerBook for over a year now and my serial number isn't in the range that Apple is fixing free of charge. I took it into an Apple store when it first happened and aside from the guy not being friendly, he said I'd have to pay to have it fixed.

Today I decided to try taking it to the new Apple store 15 minutes away to see if I could somehow get a free used battery. I explained the memory slot issue and the guy was cool as hell and put in an exception and it's being fixed for free. Though I still have to buy a new battery.

I'm pretty happy and hopefully I have it back by the end of the week.

But I am concerned though. I did do a Time Machine backup before I left the house, but I have it exclude my downloads/torrents folder. I just downloaded some things last night that I haven't sorted through and backed up yet. And I put some unsorted pictures in the downloads folder. I'm really hoping it doesn't come back wiped. :noes::noes::x:

Anyone ever have Apple wipe a drive for a reason other than a bad/corrupt hard drive?
  2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

Mar 14, 2006
    if it is the logic board that they are replacing, your hard drive should not be touched.
  3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Sometimes they swap your machine for a refurb one. Depends on the case really.
  4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

Oct 8, 2001
    damn, wish i could get that luck for them to fix mine like that. im in the same boat you are.