LGBT Texas Judge Denies Gay Teens Group

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CoCo, Mar 8, 2004.

1. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

Soo, with the funeral and all, I have been meaning to post a couple new threads... Here! Better late than never, unless a repost...hehe.:bigthumb:

LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) - A judge has ruled that a group of gay high school students cannot meet on campus, saying parents and school officials should determine what subject matter is allowed at school.

The Lubbock Gay Straight Alliance claimed in a July lawsuit that the school district violated students' constitutional rights and federal law by refusing the group's requests to meet at a high school in 2002.

Judge Sam R. Cummings said his ruling is "an assertion of a school's right not to surrender control of the public school system to students and erode a community's standard of what subject matter is considered obscene and inappropriate."

He said the district's policy banning discussion of sex or sex acts differentiated it from six similar cases in Utah, California, Indiana and Kentucky that sided with similar groups.

Brian Chase, an attorney with Lambda Legal, a national gay civil rights organization that filed the lawsuit on behalf of the group, disagreed and said no decision has been made on an appeal.

"I'm disappointed that the court didn't choose to follow the six other federal decisions allowing the students to meet and discuss issues of importance to gay and lesbian citizens," he said.

Lubbock school board president Mark Griffin said the decision "accurately reflects the community perspective as a whole."

Source:
    http://www.sacbee.com/24hour/nation/story/1181332p-8133643c.html

2. Taylor

Taylor Guest

That is utter bullshit, and it will be overturned.

3. Insey

Insey I can feel my cunt contracting

It's funny because I actually know a guy who goes to Lubbock high school. He wasn't out though when he went there.

Btw, Lambda Legal didn't handle the case correctly. The ACLU has more experience in cases like these. In the amicus curiae, Lambda lawyer's forgot to cite the Equal Access Act of 1983.

4. CoCo

...Could it be?? Useful AND helpful information from Insey???? Maybe I understated/-estimated you all this time... :squint: I'll be watchin.

5. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

that ruling is ridiculous. the only t hing erodign the standards of the "community" is the discrimination and hate being displayed through legal procedures

6. Insey

Insey I can feel my cunt contracting

I actually want to be a litigator for the ACLU after I graduate law school. I am looking at Yale, Duke, or Harvard.

7. CoCo

...I wish you the best in your endeavors.

8. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

Unfortunately that's Texas for you. If these conservative/christian/big business assholes don't like it they will do anything against you. In Texas, if you bitch enough, you can get your way...that's why there are over 250,000 ammendments (ballpark number) in the Texas constitution and no one abides by them. lol.