LGBT Texas Gov. To Sign Anti-Gay Marriage Measure At Christian School

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by NOVAJock, Jun 6, 2005.

1. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

Texas Gov. To Sign Anti-Gay Marriage Measure At Christian School
    by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

Posted: June 3, 2005 2:00 pm ET

(Austin, Texas) Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Sunday will sign legislation sending to voters this fall a proposed amendment to the state Constitution to ban same-sex marriage.

Rather than putting his name to the bill in his office Perry has decided to sign the document at Calvary Christian Academy in Forth Worth.

The decision has angered moderates in the state who say the governor is blurring the line separating church and state.

"As I recall, Jesus threw the money changers out of the temple, and I wonder how long it will be before people of faith get fed up with opportunistic political campaigning in their houses of worship," said Kathy Miller, president of the Texas Freedom Network.

Perry counters that the church school is the appropriate venue for "values-related issues."

"A church is an appropriate place to come together and celebrate a victory for the values of the people of Texas," Perry said when questioned about the decision by the media earlier this week while he was at Lockheed Martin Aeronautics in Fort Worth where he signed a workers compensation bill.

The Texas Senate approved the proposed amendment with a 21-8 vote earlier this month. (story)

Last month, the House narrowly passed the proposal, which would define marriage as between one man and one woman.

State law already prohibits same-sex marriages, but supporters of the amendment say they fear the law could be struck down in court.

Perry also will sign a bill that requires parental consent for girls younger than 18 to undergo abortions on Sunday at the school.

2. Teh_Sponge

Teh_Sponge Hey, I got a sub now...

I think when you compare things like this article and the article about the Swiss legalizing gay civil unions...it just shows how ass-backward our country really is.

I think if the U.S. legalized civil unions for gays it would be the perfect solution. Marriage people won't claim "gays are ruining marriage" and gays will have the same rights as marriage.

But with the blatent hatred for gays in this country that will never happen.

In my opinion, I think marriage should have no rights, and be religious only. Civil unions should be the one with the federal benefits.

3. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

There should be no distinction whatsoever.
    The government should grant a marriage license to anyone couple that is old enough to get married (usually 18)
    Sex shouldn't matter...ever.

That last bit about abortions is controversial though. The idea is to prevent teenage pregnancy by making abortions harder to get...even though the girl would already be pregnant by the time this happens.
    I can't quite decide which side to take. It is her body and she made the decision, but she is a minor...tough call.

4. chris0626

chris0626 New Member

I agree 100%. What difference should it make to anyone anywhere if I want to marry my partner?

Reading exactly what NOVAJock wrote... are there any other medical procedures that can be performed without parental consent? If so, at what age does parental consent become null? 15? 16? 17?

The flip side is: at what point is it the state's business to interfere? They are already 'sleeping next to me', as it were, and as far as I'm concerned, my medical care is my business and definitely NOT theirs.