Testing SQ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blindsight, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I don't have an RTA, and well.. I don't know if one would be useful for only two channel, but what is a good way to test, tune, and setup everything for SQ?

I realize I'm being really vague, please ask for any necessary details as I don't want to flood you all with meaningless crap :wiggle:

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

use yoru ear or some one elses

3. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Yeah yeah yeah...

:hs:

4. 04

04 Guest

Also, if you are trying to measure frequency response in the car with a RTA and make it sound "good" by making it all flat, you are probably going to be disapointed. A flat sound in a car with all the reflections and absorptions will typically not sound so good...

:sad2:

5. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Okay sorry, I wrote that at like 2am and I was really tired. This is my home stereo.

I play ripped wave files to a Yammy HTR-5230 and then to a pair of Pioneer SDF3K's. :hs:

Mainly I feel like my positioning of the speakers is bad, but honestly I don't know if it's just a characteristic of the speakers. I'm wondering if there should be documentation on my speakers to help me figure out how to best place them?

6. 04

04 Guest

Hmmm, well I usually like to form an equilateral triangle with the speakers and my head. I like to have the tweeters at ear level. But thats just me. I think that Dolby Labs reccomends a similar setup :dunno:

7. caraudioguy

caraudioguy Guest

i know its a car audio disc but if you can get a iascai or usaci competition disc it will give you good reference music as well as tests for phase and sound stage. and also has test tones so you can kinda hear the freqency response of you system. you can probably go to the iascai or usaci and get there cd for 10-15 dollars also try autosound 2000 test cd