MMA Testing next week :noes:

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by peoplescar, Dec 9, 2009.

1. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

First test next week. ATT certified school :coold:. been doing MMA for 2 months now :wiggle:

anything to be worried about, never tested for anything like this before.

wrestling background :wavey:

2. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

testing for what?

3. Killyin

Killyin Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies.

Srsly.

Pink belt in MMA?

4. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

I looked it up a little while ago and I guess there are technically no MMA ranks... but the school has its own rankings for skill level according to the ATT training schedule. thats what i was told :dunno:

5. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

oh yeah, I remember that..

total bullshit.

edit: good luck :wavey:

6. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Picard.jpg

7. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

yeah thats what I said... I think its easier for the instructors to see what type of level you are at though and how quickly you are progressing :dunno:

8. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

$$$

9. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

Exactly. Keep people motivated and paying.

10. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

ultimately, yeah, its the money.

11. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

That's IT. Not "ultimately" anything.

There was a HUGE thread on the UG about this about a year ago.. Basically, ATT said it was a money making scheme and a ploy to keep affiliates honest..

Either way - good luck.

IMO, no one should be testing in anything after 2 months. This isn't a knock on you or your academy. I know how that goes. You just go in, train and do what you do. This is an ATT "issue"..

12. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Agreed on the two months thing. That's way too soon.

We have 'testing' where I'm at, but it doesn't cost anything, nobody tests until after a minimum of 6 months, tests aren't scheduled (just a matter of when our instructor feels you're ready to move up) and we have a traditional Ju Jitsu program we follow along with grappling and striking.

Two month testing screams of TKD McDojang.

13. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

i understand that, however, do you think it's necessary now that MMA is gaining popularity to standardize skillsets for certain degree's of a fighter?

I mean, you have people with all different backgrounds fighting in MMA it seems logical to have a standardized levelling of skill sets. If you are a boxer who's not good on the ground is it fair to the guy with wrestling experience like myself to say these men are on the same level when in fact they could destroy each other in their respective specialties.

or am I just talking out my ass. I've not been involved with it for too long so I may be way off base.

14. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

I really miss the days when you where just handed a belt one day instead of having to do a scheduled test. If you did no-gi only or mma then your reward was your competition record.

15. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

yes, and your av is super-gay

16. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

:wtc:

17. ZZex

ZZex New Member

:werd: Testing for MMA is just weird. I can understand for BJJ, but isn't ATT's MMA classes just an all level class? How much do you pay if you rank up and what's the color system? White/Blue/Purple/Brown/Black/Red/Pink?

18. ZZex

ZZex New Member

MMA is too hard to rank. A black belt in BJJ doing MMA can probably dominate a lot of people on the ground, but what belt/rank would you give him in MMA? What if you just hit FUCKING HARD with zero grappling skills. Are equal because one dominates the standing and vise versa? Ranking for MMA is :greddy:

19. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

yeah thats exactly what i was thinking also. it seems right to have ranks but it would just be too hard to regulate and compare people because the skills are so vast.

20. ZZex

ZZex New Member

hence ranking in MMA = :ugh:

21. teep

teep New Member

why do you think there should be ranks?

22. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

all of this ranking this and that is bullshit.

you show up, you train. when you compete - you find out how good you are. when the instructor thinks you're ready - he should give you a belt.

23. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

I don't think there should be, I said i think it seems right to have them. I don't get the ranking system, i agree with drag on that your skills should be tested by fighting, not a rank.

from an objective point of view the reason i think it seems right to have ranks is because other martial arts have ranks but this doesnt, it would seem right for the average person to have a ranking system. you say to someone what belt are you for other martial arts but you can't do the same for MMA. for people transferring into MMA it seems right to have a belt ESPECIALLY if the person is starting in MMA and hasn't done ANY martial arts prior to starting MMA.

24. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

picard.jpeg

25. rtzcom

rtzcom bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~

and paying for a belt or stripes sucks ass