Test drove the C6ZO6 today- **pictures+review** A-hole dealership=no sale

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by verbs, Mar 30, 2007.

1. verbs

verbs New Member

OK, so I go to the dealership to test drive a C6ZO6 as I wanted to get rid of the CTS-V and get something more enjoyable to drive. The C6ZO6 was fresh off the truck, covered in plastic with only 7 miles on the odometer. Main options were Onstar (worthless), Bose stereo (worthless), telescoping steering wheel, 6 disc CD, IIRC.

Jump in the car with a very nice young salesman after taking numerous pictures. Took the car on a 10 mile jaunt, some freeway, some city streets to get a really good feel for the car's overall driveability.

Granted this is a new car, but I was a bit surprised at what I thought was less than expected low-mid range oomph considering the weight/power this car makes. I know the car has a low 1st gear, but I though the motor would have overcome this. It honestly didn't feel substantially faster than the CTS-V during light/medium acceleration (but it did feel faster). Traction control is a must for anyone who is a novice driver. Without it this car will probably blow the tires away at WOT in 1st gear at around 4000rpms.

Car cruises very nicely on smooth roads, but on bump roads you can tell the suspension is pretty stiff, and I would not recommend this car to anyone driving frequently on rough roads.

The seats were great. Very supportive, really cradled you well. Shifter felt good, clutch pedal was very soft and smooth considering how much power it has to hold. 1-4 skip shift was never an issue. HOWEVER, on this car the clutch chattered HORRIBLY when accelerating from a stop. Car vibrated a good bit, and it didn't sound good. The chatter went away after getting to 15ish mph, but this was unacceptable on a $75K car.
    Also unacceptable was the fact that the dash rattled in 3 different places, each at various speeds between 40 and 70mph if I remember right. IMO poor build quality. None of the foreign cars I tested so much as made a whimper when I test drove them.

Interior was meh, nothing special. Not impressed over a base C6, and fell short IMO of it's import competitors (understandable and part of the reason this car is so much cheaper). Radio/AC/dash was mediocre at best. I honestly think the comfort level of the seats were the best feature. I thought the CTS-V interior was nicer.

Brakes were good (nothing stellar), and the car turned very well, but I did not do any aggressive turning, so I did not test out the true handling capabilities, although I could feel the car was well planted and would do very well in more aggressive turns.

Back to the dealer for negotiating with an older more experienced sales guy. Their initial offer was $27K for my 2005 CTS-V with 12K miles on it (flawless), and this car which stickered $74,800 IIRC, they wanted MRSP+a 5000 premium.

I told them no way I'm paying a premium because I have access to these cars BELOW MSRP. I also said I'll sell my car private party for mid-30s instead. Then he bumps the offer to $30K for the V and says he'll drop the premium for the ZO6. I said listen, you're not even close. He then started going up, offering me $33,500 for the CTS-V, and started going below MRSP for the Vette. I said listen, let's cut to the chase. The build quality did bother me, and I need to think this car over again as I have to take clients in it. I asked for a final lowest price approved by management and I would think about it overnight and decide between it and other cars I was considering. He then went up to $35K on the CTS-V and said he'd sell me the car for $70K. (Keep in mind, he's doing these offers but doesn't have approval to sell it to me at this price). I said listen, I want to think it over and I just want a final approved lowest price out the door. Then he keeps dropping the price on the ZO6, implying they really want to move the car out, and this is a "late night special" :rolleyes: . He then says would you buy the car tonight for $65K? I said come on, there is no way your dealership will authorize it. Then he said $64K, then $62K, then $60K. I again said there is no way you can sell it to me for this price tonight, I want a final approved by mgmt. out the door price and I will have my decision by tomorrow. The guy was blowing smoke out of his ass with this low prices which I know the dealer would never do.

Then he shakes his head "no" at someone outside at which point a finance guy walks in and asks what's going on. The sales guy goes, I just gave this guy $33,500 for his car and offered the ZO6 for $64K and he wouldn't take it. The finance guy looked at me and said what's the problem? I told him the problems with the car, and he said "oh, that's because our mechanics didn't inspect it before you drove it. Our mechanics do a thorough lookover when the car comes off the truck." I said wait, your mechanics look at every car that comes off the truck? He said, well, the ZO6 gets extra special treatment. :rolleyes: He's referring to Pre-Delivery Inspection (a nasty dealer add on), but I know the cars aren't test driven during PDI and the rattles and clutch chatter would have never been discovered. So he's full of shit. He then went to say that he's never had 1 C6ZO6 returned ever and no owner has ever complained. This is the #1 Vette dealer in the Southwest region mind you.....so they sell a lot of C6ZO6s. I said you never had one roof blow off or one motor go? You must be really lucky because numerous people have had roof issues and a few have had motor issues. He played completely dumb and said no one has ever had a problem.

Then the finance guy acted mad and said "we let you drive the car under the assumption you were going to buy it," and that "there were no problems with the car I drove" (like I was making it up). This is after the Sales guy who drove with me went and told a manager of the problems, and himself agreed that the rattling of the dash and the clutch chatter was excessive and inexcusable. The sales guy who drove with me was in the room but said nothing like a noob not wanting to argue with his boss. The finance guy then called me some childish name like a "waster" because I was there just waisting their time, and asked me why I didn't just walk away from the car after driving it. All I wanted was a damn finalized approved price quote to mull over which I asked for multiple times, and they wouldn't give it to me. I would have taken the car with the rattles and had them fix it had the price been right. I stormed out of their, called the finance guy a prick and told them your dealership will never get my business. He then retorts "we'll never sell you a car."

Cliffs: Van Chevrolet finance/sales guys are liars who claim C6ZO6s are perfect without problems, deny obvious flaws with the car I drove, pull unrealistic numbers out of their ass and won't give you an approved price quote in writing when asked.

*Edit* Pics taken down- too much of a drag on my server (sorry)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  2. Toodles

Toodles You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the w OT Supporter

holy shit mang paragraphs are your friend :hsugh:

but will still read :o

3. verbs

verbs New Member

Sorry, copy/paste from another forum I posted this at didn't work as well as I thought :o

4. Kriznatch

Kriznatch New Member

That is the cheapest looking 75k interior i have ever seen. I'd pony up the extra loot and buy an M5

5. nitrane

nitrane OT Supporter

wow, car dealers do things differently over here

6. verbs

verbs New Member

This really is a performance oriented car, and part of the reason it's such a performance bargain is what you saw in the interior. You would think they could do slightly better, but ALAS no. I didn't expect it to be Porsche quality, but it's not even close.

7. subaru kun

subaru kun New Member

holy I do love performance numbers of z06 and all but pay $74,000 and you get this?:eek3:

8. Toodles

Ok why did you bother staying at the dealer for so long if you knew for certain you weren't going to buy it tonight? $60k would've been a steal for a brand spankin new z06 if you had been able to make up your mind tonight.

And if they weren't going to put the $60k on print, then you know they were just fucking with you and you could've just bolted out the door instead of wasting all this time. :hsugh:

9. verbs

verbs New Member

Problem is they know they'll have no problem selling the car, so they think they can be dicks if they don't get their way with me because some other Joe Shmo will probably pay their markup.

10. Gundam

Gundam Tell Drama he's on my to do list, right after inse

You wonder why a 75k car doesnt have a 75k caliber interior. I'll ask why every other 75k car doesn't have a 75k engine or suspension

11. verbs

verbs New Member

I would have bought the car tonight if it wasn't for the build quality issues. I wanted time to mull it over because I went from favoring the ZO6 to being 50/50, and price wold have been a determinant. I needed to weigh the build quality issues versus the APPROVED price they were going to give me for a while. Kind of hard to make a snap decision about a $70K purchase, especially when they're all there pressuring you AND blowing smoke up your ass.

$60K was bullshit, and they never would have sold it at that price, the sales guy had no approval to sell the car for that price and was blowing smoke up my ass.

12. verbs

verbs New Member

Exactly.

13. Gundam

[​IMG]

Oh man what a disgusting interior for a 200k car!

14. Lucien

Lucien Guest

Ever consider an Rs4?

15. NuShooz

NuShooz OT Supporter

i don't understand the lack of good interiors for sports/super cars

16. Akira

Akira Coke > Pepsi

I know Z06 is fast and handles great and all... but having a big motor and leaf spring isn't really 75k thing either. At least M5 has state of the art V10 and independent suspension. Z06 is brute force, and it works. But the technology isn't anything to brag about.

17. Toodles

Basically, you should've stated your stipulations more clearly. If you had told them you would sign the papers tonight if they took immediate care of the rattling problems, they probably would've been more serious with you.

But the fact that you stood there asking for a "printout" of a price for the car so you could "think" it over at home made you look fickle in their eyes. And when they sense that hesitation, they're going to hound on you like they did tonight to persuade you otherwise. They can smell that indecision a mile away, and will take advantage of that to make a quick sale.

18. verbs

verbs New Member

No. Not a fan of Audi reliability, IMO they're overpriced, but the interiors are SICK!

19. Gundam

Because they are sport cars :ugh:

What next? People complaining about the spartan interiors of F1 cars and Lemans GT cars? :hsugh:

20. Gundam

You do know that the leaf spring setup used in the Corvette costs more then a traditional coilover system right?

21. verbs

verbs New Member

Dash rattles are one of the most annoying and tough to fix problems on a car. I can't count how many times I've taken a car into Chevy for a dash rattle only to have it not fixed or come back in a few thousand miles. They could have done a fix, but that was no guarantee to me the car would be rattle free. I was not going to commit for a fix I know they couldn't guarantee. Trust me, I've bought 3 Chevy's (all new) and a Caddy and the dealers couldn't fix dash rattles for shit.

The finance guy also had the audacity to deny there was anything wrong with the car, that really irked me.

22. Eclipsed830

Eclipsed830 Active Member

wow, never new the insides looked soo cheap

23. verbs

verbs New Member

Dude, if the leaf springs were so bad, then why does this car hose every stock car around the Nuremburgring (whose times were publicized) short of the Carerra GT?

24. Toodles

If you knew the rattles weren't going to be an easy fix, you should've just left. Every minute you stay longer at a dealership gives the salesmen another opportunity to prey on you.

They knew you wanted the car. You weren't sure if you entirely wanted the car.

It was their job to convince you otherwise.

25. Lucien

Lucien Guest

Ah. Understandable.

Why not mod the CTS-V? A little turbo, a little suspension, some wheels, a nice system...