test drove a new tundra....

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by FalconXtreme, Feb 27, 2007.

1. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

and :noes::noes::noes::noes::wiggle::bowdown::bowdown: awesome ride. not hard to drive especially since my daily driver is a bike. everything about this truck just kinda felt "right". im in love but i still need to test drive the titan :noes::x:

2. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

how much was it, and the specs on the one you would get?

The titan you prolly could get for literally 10k less. Just make sure that you like that Tundra $10,000 more than the Titan.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'm gonna go drive one this weekend.

I really like the exterior of the Tundra... It's the interior that I don't care for (based on pictures). I'd like to see it in person.

4. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

the one i drove was a sr5 doublecab w/off road package.and some other do-dads. i dont remember what the sticker was for that one. but im going to assume like low 30s. ideally if i could have life my way id want the limited 5.7l tundra doublecab which is close to 40k

5. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

chances are i'll end up with a titan cause they are doin that 3.25k cash back right now.

6. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

ya i mean you can get a crew cab titan 4x4 for like 24k. Not many bells and whistles but you upgrade a few things here and there and ur @ 26 or so. Still a lot cheaper than the tundra. and if ur not going for the 5.7 from the Tundra then y bother???

7. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

It's pretty horrible. Nothing feels right ergonomically and everything is cheap. Same goes with the camry. Is toyota losing it's edge in interior quality? :noes:
    As far as truck interiors go:
    Silverado/Sierra > titan > ford > tundra > ram (IMO)

8. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I liked the styling in pictures until I saw one in person. :ugh:

Vice versa for GM's new trucks.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well, the interior is *much* nicer in person than in pictures. The "cheap" dash does work in real life. However, the point that disappointed me was actually the power.. The engine feels *very* powerful. However, there are soooo many electronics and computers working that you get the sense that you're not actually driving. Floor it around a turn, for example, and you feel the chassis wiggle about like a trout out of water, the brakes begin to pulsate, and the computer cuts engine power off, entirely. Then, after big brother thinks everything is peachey, the engine roars back to life.

To contrast, I also drove a Tacoma and had a very nicely controlled fish-tail around the corner with maximum fun and little unneeded drama.

I love computers... But only when they help me. And sorry, but Toyota and I seem to disagree on what constitutes "help". I can tell you that it's certainly not "helpful" to hold me back -- and that's what the new Tundra does.

You can disable the programs, but you must hold a button for 5 seconds while turning the ignition key, and turning the engine off will reset this... so you must do it EVERY time you start the vehicle. Hardly a quick getaway from the bank robbery, is it?

In short, it's a wonderful engine that is most definitely held back by the rest of the vehicle.

Oh and its still not a fully boxed frame? I thought it was, but the salesperson was fairly certain it was only boxed in the front sub-frame, with a c-channel for the passenger compartment and bed. So now Toyota has the *only* fullsize that's not fully-boxed? Dodge had it years ago, Ford did it in 2003, and Nissan did it in 2004.... Come on Toyota... Anytime you're ready to jump past 1999, we're waiting.

10. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket NOLA Saints crew, True Blood Jessica crew, Communi

According to one of the engineers for Gulf States Toyota, the Box in the front is for brute strength, the middle is a rolled/reinforced C for flex and the rear is C for best ride/strength ratio. At least thats what they said :o

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Marketing BULLSHIT, imo. EVERY other 1/2 ton truck is now fully-boxed. The Tacoma and 4Runner are fully boxed.

The "tripletech" crap is simply marketing bullshit. I have an old GMC Jimmy in the driveway and I can go underneath it and point out every feature the so-called "trippletech" frame provides. Bottom line, they did it to save money.

On the test drive the salesman made a point to discuss the frame. I then asked "if your way is so great, why does everyone else do a fully-boxed frame". His response: "not sure". My response: "Because a fully-boxed frame is more expensive to produce, so if it isn't a good idea, I think they wouldn't do it." His response: "But the Ford F250 is a c-channel frame" My response: "Yea, but all other trucks are now fully-boxed. And the F-250 is a very very old design. They may have updated the headlamps a few years back, but the underlying frame has not changed. So you're comparing yourself to an old and out-dated design. Ford has officially said with their F150 that fully-boxed is better and that their F250 needs a re-design (which it's getting this year). So I'll ask again: Why did every other manufacturer at one time do it your way, but then upgrade their design to fully boxed" His response: silence

A fully-boxed hydro-formed frame costs MONEY. It takes more metal, which increases material cost. It also takes more technology, power, and effort to create than a simple c-channel design. Toyota uses their "trippletech" approach to SAVE money. Not to build a better truck. I happen to have a Tundra brochure on my desk. It says: "Fully Boxed Section: The frame is Fully Boxed in the engine bay, where weight-supporting strength is essential." But I digress, if you want to claim 10,800 lbs tow capacity, and a 2,065 lbs payload capacity then you need that strength for the rest of the truck, too. You know their slogan? "10,800 lbs, not once. not once in a while. but all day long." Sorry, that's just not true. A fully-boxed frame would be better-suited, but Toyota decided to go cheap.

12. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket NOLA Saints crew, True Blood Jessica crew, Communi

:dunno: they told us that a boxed frame gave a much stiffer ride. I'm sure its probably cheaper though

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

a boxed frame reduces lateral flex in the chassis. A boxed frame also costs more.

Toyota did a few extra "tricks" to help their trucks ride nice (and some of these are good ideas -- like angling the leaf springs) but they totally screwed the pooch on the frame. They decided bottom line $$$ was more important than building the best truck.

Looks like GMC won this round.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

We can only hope.