test drives and impressions

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Milin, May 21, 2006.

1. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

so I'm looking for a new sport sedan.

I test drove an 04 WRX STi last night with really low miles and a really cool adult owner. Needless to say I was grinning like a bitch the whole way around and absolutely loved it.

Today I went to acura and subaru. I sat in an 06 STi and for my purposes it wasn't different enough at all to warrant spending more on it. In fact, I didn't like it nearly as much. The new front end is too aggressive!

I went to Acura and sat in the TSX and TL. The TL screamed old man, to me, and the TSX was actually really impressive. I got the nav model out and played with it however I didn't go and drive it. I didn't want to be completely dissapointed by the automatic, so I am waiting until they get a 6spd on the lot.
    The navigation on the TSX was absolutely fucking fantastic!!!! the interior was even better, especially that light gray color they offer!! Too bad the power is down and front wheel drive, in typical honda fashion.

then I went to look at a legacy GT spec B. I was totally dissapointed here. It was like a subaru on the inside. Materials were really okay, but the guages were still nice. The red seats were actually cool, however the navigation, especially coming from the acura, was piss poor. I hope the 07 is better since I will likely be buying an 07, or waiting until 08 and borrowing my parents' spare car until then.

then I went and drove a lexus is250 6spd.

overall the car was probably the smoothest drive, coming from driving a bmw z4 right now. The transmission was excellent, however the motor just felt anemic. It felt like even if I revved it up it still didn't really accelerate with any authority. I felt this the most when I was trying to merge in Houston traffic! Everything else about the car, though, was fabulous. Honestly though at that rate I'd rather get an ES350 or a new camry hybrid, sadly enough.

It seem slike the sti is the cheapest of the bunch, however it has no navigation and the 04 has a aftermarket stereo and I could probably add my own navigation since the TSX unit is made by alpine.
    25k for an sti in brand new condition that still smells new is a bloody steal.

Subaru part two here I come. I swear I won't mod this one, guys. :o

The evo will always be faster anyway. That's not why I'm buying it. It just felt better all around and the impreza feels better on the inside than the legacy. To me the legacy spec B felt like a half arsed Audi product or an impreza attempting to be an acura.

If I was a really rich guy I'd have the TSX and the STi, however at this point I think it's going to hinge on how the TSX drives and whether or not I am totally dissapointed with it. If it's a touch better than the is250, I may be swung in that direction, or I may just get the TSX for the fiance in a year since we'll have enough money to get a used model then!

2. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

Evo FTW

3. 94cc0rd

94cc0rd New Member

I like the TSX as well but I think it's too underpowered for it's size/weight.

I've also heard great things about Honda/Acura navigation units.

4. InFesteD

InFesteD OT Supporter

evo ftw

5. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

i'd rather not deal with the typical mitsu falling apart stuff :-/

im seriously considering saying screw it since cars are such a shit investment anyway and just gettng a honda FIT.

6. emorphien

emorphien New Member

nice avatar :)

As far as the TL vs IS vs Legacy GT. The TL and IS will seem more refined with a better nav system but the GT is a much different car when it comes to the driving experience. It's much more entertaining.