Terry Cloth?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by trueimage, Aug 3, 2008.

1. trueimage

trueimage Money from dirt OT Supporter

I found this photo online...

[​IMG]

area wiped with microfiber on left, terry cloth on right, under high mag

any truth to this?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Absolutely. That's why I recommend using microfiber towels in the product list and detailing EDU. :)

3. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

+1

I only use terry on heavily stained upholstery or interior plastics and follow up with a microfiber to remove leftover fibers. But I won't even touch any painted trim/radio displays/gauge clusters/etc for fear of inducing scratches.

4. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

You do realize that even after years of terry you still won't be able to tell the difference? Thats just marketing right there. Do as you please but I have used terry cloth on cars for years and its fine.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, I am referring to the white towels found at Costco as terry cloth. They are cotton and super absorbent whereas microfibre is soft but won't soak up even half as much.

5. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Dumb.

6. trueimage

trueimage Money from dirt OT Supporter

But why would you want to now that you know?

7. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

My point was that regardless of that picture I can't tell the difference. I really just use any towel that is clean, "soft", and available. Like I said, I cannot tell any difference and sometimes I think that the terry wipes off the car nicer. Not saying microfiber is better/worse, just saying terry gets a bad wrap but seems to be pretty effective for me.

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Once microfiber gets a touch wet, they absorb very well. Using fabric softeners inhibits their ability to absorb water.

I used to use terry cloth towels all the time and I can definitely tell an improvement long term after switching to microfiber towels about 5 years ago. The only terry cloth towels that ever touch my paint or my customers is the Super Terry Towels that Meguiars used to have. They are just as soft as MF towels and have a real thick nap, making them ideal for using with ONR. However, I do make the second drying pass with MF towels.