Terrible Transfer Speeds

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RammsteinGT, Sep 7, 2004.

1. RammsteinGT

RammsteinGT New Member

Jun 26, 2003
    I've been having a lot of trouble recently with my transfer speeds. I have a great computer that has no spyware/adware/viruses to slow it down and I have a DSL connection.

For example, I max out on downloading a torrent at a speed of approx. 10kb/s and I transfer files over MSN messenger at an obscenely slow rate, however, when downloading from any server directly I will get borderline 200kb/s.

I have no firewalls at all on the computer, so this is why I'm baffled.

Any detailed ideas to help speed up my connection would be great. :hs:

Thanks in advance!
  2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k Active Member OT Supporter

Dec 18, 2003
    Go to dslreports.com and use their Speed Test tool and make sure there are no other programs using the internet connection when you run the test.
    If there are slow speeds then, then take the TweakTest to make sure your settings are still correct.
    If they are fine, then talk to your ISP and see if they are having any problems.

Run a spyware scan anyway, unless you mean you already have in which case never mind.

If your speeds are fine and the TweakTest shows your settings are fine, then there are no problems with you. Don't trust a P2P/BT type of program to start worrying about your speeds. Remember, the people sharing files on these types of networks share to more than just 1 person at a time. Plus with so many back in college they use those internet super fat pipes to really start doing their sharing.