SRS Terrible problems with procrastination/internet addiction

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SolidRanger, Jan 13, 2010.

1. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

OK guys. I have terrible issues with procrastination and I spend WAY too much time on the internet.

In all honesty on any given day I can spend upwards of 12 hours a day surfing the web. I really hate it, but I can't seem to just turn it off and walk away. I recently spent a week out of town with my sister who doesn't even own a computer, and it felt really good. I socialized alot more and in general felt happier.

I can't get rid of the computer because I need it for schoolwork, and I can't get rid of the internet because of school and because my mom needs it for her home office.

Honestly I'm gonna graduate in about a year, I'm thinking I just won't get the internet installed when I get my own place again, but I need solutions for the mean time.

Help?

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

There are no solutions in between other then walk away from it and never touch it again.

The thing about weaknesses is that, once you get exposed , you get right back at your addiction and you'll start from point zero again. My advice is to remain your addiction until you graduate from school. Its pointless , but instead of just non-sensical surfing, optimize your computer to the maximum for your schoolwork and studies.

Discipline takes a lot of time to develop, and you would need someone who teaches you these forms of dicipline, so just throw everything aside and do your schoolwork,

There's 2 things. Emotions and Logic.

Emotionalwhise, you want to surf the internet
    Logicwhise, you are better off doing your schoolwork.

The whole trick is living your life logicwhise, and giving up your emotions. Or better said, Logic comes first, emotions come later. Meaning that your school is more important, then internet.

You have to force off , and shut down your emotions. You do this like this.

Try this. DONT THINK, just shut the computer off, try it even now(yes i mean it). The thing is, the moment you start thinking is the moment you stop doing. Just shut yourself (brain) down, and move your hand to the off button,

now you did the logical thing, and you need to keep training that, remember stop thinking, and do what is logical correct without involving your emotions in it.

3. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

When I get really bored I find myself going online to look at shit. What I do to help prevent it is stimulate myself in other ways, like listening to music while writing a paper. What you might want to do is find a movie or book you like, and basically ween yourself off of the internet. When you begin to think "damn, I should go on OT." grab your book, movie or whatever else you like to do and do that instead. If it is impacting your work, then listening to music or taking breaks every half hour should keep you on task. In the end it is all about self-control though. You have to just stay on track.

4. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

self-imposed OT ban would be worthwhile too. There is a thread in the Front Desk for it.

5. Unspun

Unspun New Member

I disagree with there being no middle ground for an internet addiction.

Try setting a timer, and having something else ready for you to do when that timer goes off.

If you truly cannot control it, get your internet shut off or switch to dial up, that'll frustrate you into not using it as much lol.

6. IRSISRSRI

IRSISRSRI New Member

Replace it with other activities you enjoy until you can become accustomed to only using it a little each day. I am sure it is routine more than anything, break your routine.