Terminal Services Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DatacomGuy, Feb 8, 2006.

1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

A friend of mine is running a network at his company as a 'side job' (he really does AutoCAD and 'runs' the network on the side). He received this error. Terminal Services licenses are active and current (although I think he's still on a temporary license/trial license?) but his Windows XP laptop couldn't connect and received this error.

I searched MS's knowledge base, but wasn't impressed with the answer. Anything I should have him check for? I haven't messed with terminal services in over 3 or 4 years.. :hsd:

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Buuump.

3. sirreal

sirreal Unblockable OT Supporter

4. sirreal

sirreal Unblockable OT Supporter

5. chips

chips ...

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Does he have real 2003 TS Cals (remember, unlike 2000, 2003 does NOT give a free pass to XP pro) ?

Is there a terminal server license server running? Is it activated? Have licenses been installed and activated? Does the license mode on the terminal server (TSCONFIG) match the CALS (per user or per device)? Are all the licenses already taken (per-device really means PER DEVICE)?

Is the user an administrator on the machine they are trying to connect FROM (by default, Users don't have write access to the keys that store the TS license info on the local PC). If a person without at least power-user rights tries to login without a license or with an expired temp license they will get this error.

Try deleting the license key in the article above. Sometimes it just gets fucked up.

Deleting the license key every 90 = gay. There are ways to fix it if the server is legit or not. Hint: per-user licensing is NOT enforced.