Terminal Server Woes...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Feb 17, 2005.

1. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I'm reformatting 2 Windows 2000 work machines to move down to another plant. When I install and setup the connection in Terminal Server and go to connect, it immediately says "Terminal Server Has Ended The Connection." I tried to set it up on a Windows XP laptop another Windows 2000 machine and no luck.

From doing some searching, a lot of people claim it to be a license issue. We have a license server setup and running. The only thing that I can think of is that when I look through the licence server, about 17 licenses are given out including 2 or 3 that are to the same user but under a different computer name and therefore not needed. I don't see anyway to delete or release the license. I'm thinking that's the problem.

Any ideas???

Also, I though I read that Windows 2000/XP machine don't need a license to access Terminal Server, or the OS install comes with one??? No clue...

I'd appreciate any help...

Thanks,

2. JPrice1485

JPrice1485 New Member

2000/XP Pro machine's don't need a license to connect to a 2000 TS, the TS will issue them a "free" CAL. Check that the server has found your license server by checking registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSLicensing\Parameters.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You can connect up to two Admins free of charge to Terminal Services which runs in admin mode, or license mode that allows as many as your license requires.

But licensing problems, usually it will tell you there's a licensing issue and then kick you out (I think this is so that admins can log in and not be screwed by licensing).

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

First off, are these machines supposed to be terminal servers? A lot of people get mixed up and install terminal services in Application Server mode when they really want Admin mode. Are users supposed to connect to these machines, not just admins doing maintance or whatever?

If they are supposed to Terminal Servers, check the event log for errors from termserv. If it is a license error, it will pop an event into the log. If it is a license error, you can try setting a prefered license server. Go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService\Parameters

and create a new value called DefaultLicenseServer as reg_sz (it is not there by default)

Set the value to the name of the TS License server you want t o use and then reboot the server.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If I didn't explain right... The two machines I am working on are trying to connect to a Terminal Server.

I'll take a look at the registry stuff.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Ah, I see. The two machines are W2K Pro, right? Is the terminal server Windows 2000 or Windows 2003? This really sounds like a TS license issue. The event log on the Terminal server will tell you for sure. TS has a bad habit telling the user and just ditching the connection.

If the server is 2003, be aware that Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro do not get free cals. Also, if you are not using 2003 per user license mode for TS, (i.e 2000 TS or 2003 TS with per seat) you have to have 1 license per client access device (PC, Thin-Client, etc). You can not release TS licenses. You can either a) wait for them to automatically recycle in 60-89 days or b) call Microsoft and have them reset them all. It's a pain.

Citrix/Terminal Server is my specialty (I'm a consultant with a large reseller and have built several hundred servers) so if you have any Citrix/TS questions, ask or PM.

Oh, there is one other possibility. Are you certain the TS Server is up and fully responding? Sometimes the TS service will get wonked up and it will still answer on 3389, but it will not handshake, it will just drop the connection. Can other machines connect to it? Finally, are the clients using any kind of software firewall? Sometimes these will cause this too. What happens is the firewall accepts the connection, but won't let it out, and instead drops the TCP session, causing the RDP client to immediatly report the server dropped the connection.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Thanks for the reply. Yes, both machines are Win2K Pro and the the TS is running Win2K Server.

Only 5 or so machines connect to TS and they all work fine. They are all on the same network by the way. I've only had this problem when trying to have 2 more machines connect. No firewalls...

I'll check the even t log and see what's there and let you know.

What gets me is that we have a user with a computer name of FJK. In the TS License app, it shows a license for FJK, FJK1, and FJK2. All the same user, but three different machines he had. And there is no entry for when the license expires.

Thanks for the reply... I'll check a few things on Monday...

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You know that not only do you need enough licenses for TS, but you also need licenses to access the resources like any other LAN based computer. 5 is how many license W2K server comes with by default.

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

:uh: I forgot people still install W2K this way sometimes. Yea, that would cause this too, but only if all 5 other machines where on at the same time. Easy to fix, just up the license count on the server (legally, of course).

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

If FJK is using multiple machines, each machine will use a TS Cal. It's per device in 2000, not per user. For example, if you connect at work then go home and connect to the same server from there, using the same login ID, you will burn 2 TS Cals.

11. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Is there anyway to release them? Some of the licenses were issues a good couple years ago. the FJK2 is one of the machines now and FJK and FJK1 are long gone. There has to be a way to get rid of them without having to buy more licenses, right?...

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

There was a fix in SP4 (and a hotfix for SP3) that allows the licenses to auto-expire. Any licenses issued before that hotfix or SP4 was installed cannot be automatically recovered. What you will have to do is call Microsoft and have the licenses released.

13. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Thanks EvilSS, I finally got it fixed.

I added the reg key for the preferred server and that seemed to fix it. For some reason, the license server is on the PDC, not the actual Terminal Server, so I guess that was the issue of not being able to find the server.

I still want to look into the licenses though since half of the machines that they were given out to are long gone. The TS has SP4 on it, so it said I didn't need the fix.

Thanks again.

14. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

For Windows 2000 with an AD domain, it is required to be on a domain controller. That goes away with 2003, but we usually recommend that you not install it on a terminal server. The License Server also needs the hotfix/service pack btw.

Just call MS to get your licenses released. It's pretty easy and TS Cals aren't exactly cheap. If the CALS are under the "Built In" license, you don't need to worry about it, those are the free 2000 Workstation/XP Pro licenses.

Here is the FAQ on 2000 TS Cals:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/howtobuy/pricing/tsfaq.asp

How to reclaim your licenses: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;248430

15. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Thanks again, I'll check those out.