Terminal Server Licensing.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Sep 21, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

When clients connect to my Terminal Server, their machines check out licenses that expire months from the time they connect. Is there any way to configure the licenses so they get checked back in as soon as client machines disconnect?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

If you bought 20 licenses, thinking that's the most machines that will ever be online on the TS (or better yet, limiting the number of connections to 20), even though you have 30 machines, you're doing it wrong. The reason they're set to 90 days is so you can't reuse them from machine to machine.

3. deusexaethera

So Microsoft doesn't care that every other company that uses floating licenses expires the leases as soon as the product is finished being used, huh? What the hell good is being able to connect to a server remotely if I can't do so from any location I happen to be at?

4. 5Gen_Prelude

They're not floating licenses - that's the point. As for your second part of your question, you could have bought a User CAL that would have done exactly that. And in W2K3, the User CAL Licensing doesn't even work - they never finished the code. All you need is a licensing server to be online - it doesn't actually do any authentication!

I agree, concurrent connections is where it's at, however MS believes, and rightly so, you make more money doing it their way.

5. deusexaethera

Wait, per-user licensing doesn't require any actual licenses to be installed? It just automatically says "sure, you can connect if the domain says you're cool"?

6. 5Gen_Prelude

Just need a licensing server set up - it doesn't actually track anything. Not because it shouldn't of, but they simply didn't finish the code. I'm assuming W2K8 is different, but yeah, there's nothing authenticating you in per User mode - it's all on the honour system. Makes for easy administration that's for sure ;).

In other words, I'm not saying don't buy the CALs, I'm just saying it doesn't track them like per device CALs.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  7. deusexaethera

Well, I already have the CALs installed; paying for them is not an issue at this point.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

Except they're not transferabble to User CALs I don't think.

9. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

correct