Tentative computer set up, not a comp pro

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by evan2, Aug 30, 2005.

1. evan2

evan2 Guest

Whats up guys.. I tried in the main forum and well you know how it is over there.. hard to keep something up top
    I want to build a new rig mainly because my dell is 2 years old and I want something more up to date.. the dell does great for what I do
    and thats Download.. im a huge pirate but i just moved to the uk and its kinda boring here becuase we dont know many people and the americans we do arent our kind of people.. ive always liked games but just not in a nutty kind of way.. i like RTS games mostly though and I know you dont need much umphh for them

either way money is just sitting around and I want a new project plus I wanted to build a server for all my files and was going to build one but said fuck ill just turn my dell into one

heres the current thoughts on set up, i get so much mixed info on do this or do that.. granted i dont need this comp with upcoming technology and my current state of boredom at times I figure Ill try out some newer games

Lian Li PC-65B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

2x CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model CMX1024-3200PRO - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3800BPBOX - Retail

I will get a WD 74 raptor for os and games since I was learned on why it would be better

not sure what video card, i tried to retain my shitty ati 9800 pro but guess I need a pci e one, so ill prob get a 7800gt something ive seen but there are a bunch of different ones which one is best
    do I run sli with 2 cards or just one... is sli more of a what is coming?

I think I will use onboard sound becuase the mobo one seemed ok, I have Logitech z5500 and Im more a audiophile then I need pimp sound for games
    what card would do be good for a musical standpoint, I have a cheap chaintech in my box now for the 5.1, it does me well

I forgot the psu but its a 150 bucks or so and should work well with my set up, it was E power or somthing 450 w

I will get a new fan and Hs becuase I heard the amd one is shit..
    well shit for OCing

What I have...
    120,160,250 WD ide and 200 seagate ide
    320 wd se Sata which will go in new box, ordered it by mistake so its just sitting around
    so ill have the server with the other 4 hdds and the new 320...
    plus the raptor for os and games

please tell me where I can improve or save a buck or two..... Money isnt a huge object but I dont want to go nuts

2. evan2

evan2 Guest

Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update Lian Li PC-65B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive -OEM

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Leadtek WinFast PX7800GTX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

2x CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model CMX1024-3200PRO - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3800BPBOX - Retail

ok so that is it, im torn between what PSU to get.. of course id run to the cheapest butfor the most part I usually look at the more costly ones thinking they are better
    whats a good one.. should i go over 500 in case I get into it and want to run sli with another 7800gt.. Id rather plan ahead and pay more now
    if I dont use it oh well, I dont have to upgrade to a new psu and try to sell this one later on

is this a good fan for the CPU
    Thermaltake VENUS 12 80mm Ball Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail
    its what it reccomends for my proc.. I just want the most cooling on it possible
    I live in the uk so the heat really isnt there though teh pc will be near a big screen door and there isnt any AC in the uk, though the summer months get hot for maybe 1months time
    I got here in june and think was only really hot for 3 weeks of it