tendonitis in both forearms

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by themolsen, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themolsen

themolsen New Member

:wtc:

It's much worse on my right arm than my left. Can't do any bicep curls for at least a couple of weeks, probably a month. The only bicep workout I can do that doesn't hurt is hammer curls and lat pull-downs...and, well, that sucks for biceps :hs:

And just as my bi's were starting to blow up, too...

Oh, how'd I get it? From doing bicep curls. It's the forearm pain so many people complain about. Well I unfortunately "worked through the pain" and ended up hurting myself more.

Learn from my mistake, brollies :wavey:

2. trancezj

trancezj New Member

Personally, I can't do any arm movements with a straight bar. Even the easy curl fucks my forearms. I have to be very picky about pull up bars too. Straight pullup bars fuck up my forearms badly. I stay away from any bicep movements with bars, I can't do skull crushers either. It's a pain, but you can work around it.

3. themolsen

themolsen New Member

Yea, I'm going to have to do SOMETHING different once I heal. What do you do to work your biceps then?

4. SuperChode

SuperChode New Member

Do reverse curls. One part of your forearm is way bigger than the other probably.

5. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

Chin ups

6. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

I had the same problem man.

I went to physical therapy for a long time afterward too.

I'd suggest you see a doctor, but a few tips I can share from experience are:

- Let the inflammation heal first, 800mg of ibuprofen 3x/day for a few weeks plus some tissue massage would really help.

- Do NOT do lifts that strain your forearms until the inflammation has settled or you'll only make it worse and eventually really screw yourself up.

- When you start back up, use technique in your lifts that keep your wrist straight and keep the focus on the muscle, and not the forearm.... for example - shoulder presses, back squats, all of these things with the wrong form can put lots of strain on your forearms and take away from the focus of that lift anyway. Keeping your elbows in and at your side during those hammer curls and therefore isolating the bicep vice the forearm is another example.

- A big problem may be that your bi's and tri's outgrew the muscles in your forearm so much so that you can't do the lifts at your level anymore without straining the forearm so you need to train them... There are plenty of exercises out there to strengthen them and I'd suggest laying off the heavy lifts on your bi's and tri's until then.

To this day sometimes after a workout I'll get a little inflammation and have to take ibuprofen for a couple days, but at least it's manageable. Things like pull-ups, muscle ups, and even weighted dips can set it off. The trick is to be smart, I had to take a good while off the gym to let it heal, and won't make the mistake of overtraining again - injuries halt progress altogether, so slow and steady for me in that area from now on.

Anyway, I'm no doctor but having gone through this, these are things I learned and that helped me.

7. themolsen

themolsen New Member

:bowdown: thanks so much for all of that!

Do lat pulldowns strain your forearms? If I can do them without pain, should I?

8. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

I was having this problem ib september and october. Here are suggestions that i've used to help

1.Switch up your curls (do reverse grip curls, concentration curls)
    2. When you use an EZ Curl bar, bring your elbows back further and bend over a bit, not allowing your arm to make a 90% bend - yet still allowing the curl.
    3. Strengthen your forearms with forearm exercises (as mentioned by method, the tendonitis comes form irregular muscle growth, causing the two tendons to run against each other. Training the different muscles in your formarems reduces this), doing reverse wrist curls on a forearm bench, and behind the back DB forearm curls.
    4. Stop using the straight bar for curls.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

I defeated/managed this pain with:

lots of Tylenol; fish oil; rest, eliminating any grip that made it hurt

It took about three months, and its very frustrating.

10. themolsen

themolsen New Member

11. SuperChode

SuperChode New Member

Using fat bars helps a ton with forearm strength/health as well. The extra circumference lets you squeeze with the entire surface of your hand instead of using mostly the parts by your thumb and index finger. My gym doesn't have fat bars, so I use Lynx Grips to get the same effect. Doing farmer's walks with these makes me feel an insane forearm pump that I never used to feel before. The best part about the lynx grips is you can use them on basically every exercise in which you grip something.

http://www.lynxpt.com/

12. themolsen

themolsen New Member

Do lat pulldowns strain your forearms? Should I do them if they don't cause pain? I'm making so much awesome progress everywhere, but especially in my lats... I do NOT want to stop

:squint: this sucks

13. Voltekker

Voltekker Active Member

I have this in my right arm and it sucks, basically the strain from me squeezing when doing pullups caused it. Ive stayed away from the exercises that make my arm hurt and its alot better.

14. SuperDump250

SuperDump250 New Member

I had this for about a week. Quit lifting for 3-4 days, Advil 400mg 3 times a day, ice them whenever I had the time. Went back about a week later and did some non-pulling lifts, next time lifting did some light back/bi and then after that I was good to go. Main thing is rest though dont fuck it up till it feels perfect.

15. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

np man

no they don't... if i use the correct grip

if it causes pain do not do it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.