WEB Template vs Web 2.0

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by YourMomOnRyeBun, Oct 25, 2007.

1. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

Disclaimer - by no means do I represent a professional level web designer

I just surf a lot...and I am pretty critical

Anyway, here is my question. I have always been pretty keen on picking up on businesses that you templates/cookie cutter designs for their websites, rather than original designs. But when I see "Web 2.0" sites, they seem to start looking like templates.

What features, or signs of creativity would a pro use to make his Web 2.0 site look unique and not like a template that anyone could go buy from templatemonster.com or someplace similar?

ibwebdesignnoobbash...just trying to learn. :wavey:

2. conRAD

conRAD New Member

I think you can notice the custom designs when there is some sort of element within the page that you can tell is tailored to that specific site. And overall quality is another big thing. Do they have a company logo / identity, or is it just text in a standard font as a header - It's those kind of things that stick out to me in terms of judging a site from being template based, or worked from scratch.

Another is just the general site flow. I've seen a lot of templates that are over-burdening with bad slogans and the same stock images you'd find on 100 other sites. It's a huge turn-off.

3. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

I agree...and thats what I am trying to avoid. :)

4. the web 2.0 can look very very simple and standard at times and can even be achieved with just some divs with a set width and height and having the bg color of that div a different color. i've also seen some web 2.0 sites that are fully custom, transparent gifs everywhere layered with z-index, etc.

so its really hard to tell, with every web style there will always be a template.

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

That's because they are templates, much like the designs you create when a developer gets done with them.

Just finished designing my personal site. It has this look, and I'm happy with it, because it looks professional and that's what I was going for. Now I begin development.