Temp. Internet File help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kuyajay, Mar 26, 2004.

1. kuyajay

kuyajay OT Supporter

I have 3 hardrives and I have windows on my C: drive. I only have 700mb left in my windows hardrive but I want to dl a program that is at least 1gb in my other drives. I never get to finish the dl because the file first saves in windows before being moved to my other hard drives. Is there a way to bypass the file from being saved in temporary internet file and go straight to my other drives?

2. Ximian

Ximian New Member

Not really but you can move the Temporary Internet Files folder to your other hard drive:

Tools - Internet Options - Settings (button, in the middle) - Move Folder (same)

3. kuyajay

kuyajay OT Supporter

ahh thanks bud that fixed it.
    What about if I'm trying to write a cd using nero, nero won't write a 699mb file because I need at least 700+mb space in my harddrive? But I set my C: drive to not have any paging file but nero is still looking for it on my C drive. =/

4. Ximian

Ximian New Member

I don't use Nero but look in the option where it stores the "temp" files or "cache buffer." Make a temp folder on the other hard drive and change the settings in Nero to that.

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

A download manager like GetRight or one of the others should be able to handle it for you.

For Nero; File->Preferences->Cache select a different drive.

BTW, it sound like it's time to go through your C drive and look to delete and uninstall crap you don't need any more.
    Do a search for files that have "order", "license", "history", "buy" and stuff like that and delete those. Might not take up a lot of space, but if it's not needed what's the point of it waste it space.
    Also if a program includes language files to translate itself into that language, delete those as well since you won't be using them. These can some times take up a lot more space than the files mentioned above.
    In other words, spring cleaning time of your system.

6. kuyajay

kuyajay OT Supporter

done and fixed. thanks bud

7. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

i think it's absolutely stupid that IE doesn't have a temporary files directory on each HD. and not just for 700mb files.. even if you download a 50mb file it's dumb to have it copy over a second time. plus, sometimes if there's windows lag i'll hit the enter key when the copy dialog pops up, killing the copy. lame.