telnet proxy server for linux

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by johnnywallywallace, Dec 3, 2003.

1. I'm looking for something like squid that I can set up to forward telnet requests rather than http ... I can't telnet on port 23 at work, so I'd like to telnet on another open port, 21 perhaps, to a proxy on my linux router at home and on to other telnet services running on standard port 23.

I've heard a bit about TIS toolkit ... all I need is a telnet proxy though, not a whole new firewall setup ... any suggestions?

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

enable ssh on port 80? :dunno:

3. I take it you haven't been following my "Accessing SSH" thread :p

plus I'm looking to use a MUD client from work ... so I need a telnet proxy that I can access through one of the few open ports on the office firewall.

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Why don't you just do your work at work?

5. because I'm on-call much of the time, I work odd and sometimes long sometime short hours ... sometimes I'll already have 12 hours in for the day and some other department needs to meet with me at 6pm after they've gone to press ... I have an odd schedule and want complete flexibility wherever I am. I have VPN at home to the office, but I'm more limited obviously at the office.

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Schedule your computer at home to VPN into work. Write script to email you the IP of the VPN connection, and then use the VPN connection in the opposite dirrection.

7. how does using it in the opposite direction work? it's a cisco vpn client on my laptop ... cisco vpn client behind my linux router, cisco vpn solution on top of a symantec raptor firewall at work.

8. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

It depends on how they set it up. When you VPN into a network, you are given an IP as though you were physicaly connected to the network (that is how you can access all the internal things, email, intranet, etc). You can use that connection in both ways, so SSHing, or RDPing back through it would be no problem at all.

BUT, if they are smart the IPs that they would give out the VPN clients would be a on a seperate subnet than the internal network, therfore making all traffic routed through their firewall. In that case, my whole idea is bunk. :big grin:

9. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

dude, i think you are making this waaaaaaaaaaaay more complicated that it needs to be. If you want to learn the proxy stuff just for fun, then cool. But otherwise, i THINK ipchains can actually do the port rewrite for you. If not, i know squid can, you'll just have to dig into the documentation. Your company firewall/proxy has to be doing something really funky... i would just take care of it the easy way and talk to your network guys. I know you have an issue with your boss or whatever, but if you tell them that ALL you need to do is to be able to ssh out to a remote box for COMPANY purposes, then they should have no issue granting you that methinks.

10. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Bingo.

Chances are, this is how it is done. DMZ. Definitely the RIGHT way to set it up.

11. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

:mamoru: I never really read your first post, but SLED is right. Simple port forwarding rules added to your ipchains or iptables firewall will do exactly what you want.

12. still learning iptables rules ... and, didn't know squid could cache/proxy for telnet? I'll look more into my iptables ruleset first ...

and, my boss is retarded but irrelevant ... the people who manage the network kind of fear me, think I'm some sort of hacker, and they know I have no real reason to have an SSH connection off-site ... as it is, they don't understand what I do, PERIOD -- they try to tell me that I should simply use VPN to "connect, do my work, logoff" they don't understand that I need to have multiple applications open and connected for a period of time to get things done ...

13. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

14. SLED

what distro of linux are you running? i know that in SuSE, it has some pretty cool firewall scripts with some pretty easy variables to configure your port forwards and rewrites pretty easily

15. vectorlinux 4.0 right now, no GUI installed ... thinking of switching to SmoothWall ... or FreeBSD ... it's on a pII 266 with 96mb but I'd like to get a router/firewall device going on a 120 or 166 ...

16. SLED

go gentoo, or some sort of a "watered down" distro

17. vector is a stripped slack ...