SRS Telling kids about how sick Grandpa is...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by LordPhantom, Jan 16, 2006.

1. LordPhantom

LordPhantom New Member

Hello OTers,

I was pondering this question tonight and figured OT was clearly the best place to seek guidance on it :)

My sister-in-law's father is dying. Having watched Mum die 18 months ago from lung cancer, I don't think the old guy has that much longer to live. I am close to my sister in law and her kids, and am helping out where I can.

I was talking to her tonight about things, and brought up the topic of explaining to the kids exactly what is going on. They obviously know he's sick, but nobody has sat them down and explained that he won't be around for much longer.

These kids range in age from 4-9.

On the one hand, I think it would be good to prepare them at least a little for whats to come. On the other hand, will it make any difference, and might it just make them more upset for longer?

Anyone dealt with this and got an opinion?

2. SpectreMatrix

SpectreMatrix New Member

Be honest with them.. and tell them that buying an AV is good for them as well.

3. LordPhantom

LordPhantom New Member

4. phproxy

phproxy OT Supporter

Yes

5. LordPhantom

LordPhantom New Member

Okay, whats an AV ?

6. shangrilarcadia

shangrilarcadia A lady

an av is an avatar. you get one by buying a subscription to ot. But the asylum is NOT the place to harrass someone to get one, so ignore those peeps.

As far as the kids go, I wouldn't tell them that grandpa is going to die soon, but I would tell them that grandpa is sick; that sometimes people get sick and its ok to feel bad about that but they should know how much he loves them. You need to use simple language that they can understand. What you need to make sure you DON'T do is to make them feel like is means god (if your religious) doesn't love grandpa or make them feel that it is because grandpa/you/they did something wrong. If you are religious, I suggest you consult with a preacher/rabbi/whatever to see how you should introduce the idea of heaven/whatever you believe in to them because they will have lots of experience with this. I would also call the phycologist at their school because they also have a ton of experience with this and want to help their students