GUN Tell me why this shouldn't be my first gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CodeX, Sep 26, 2009.

1. CodeX

CodeX Guest

[​IMG]

I've been getting more and more interested in owning a gun, primarily for target practice, not for hunting and not very concerned with using it for self defense. The only guns I have ever fired were a .22 and a 12 gauge bolt action shotgun, but I have been looking at many guns and this .50 smith and wesson revolver caught my eye, and now I can't stop thinking about it.

So, why would you not recommend I get this, or, if you think I should, why should I (other than the fact that I love how it looks and that it kicks like a mule)

2. Nick Gerz

Nick Gerz OT Supporter

3. The ammo is expensive, and unless you're actually hunting with that gun it's nothing but a novelty.

4. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Can you go into more detail about the cost of ammo? I don't mind the cost of the gun, I wouldn't even use it until next summer so I have some time to save for it, but if its going to be prohibitively expensive to use that might turn me off...

Something like a dollar a round I think would be the top end I would be willing to spend. Also, and again I don't know much about guns so this might be dumb, but do you have to fire 50 cal rounds? Do other, cheaper, types of ammo work at all?

Novelty is okay, the entire thing is a novelty, just so I can go to the range and blow off steam lol

5. mstad

mstad New Member

You should buy two of them so you can dual wield.

6. You have to fire the .50cal rounds. I don't know what it costs, but it's expensive. Search and you can probably find it. What are you going to do with it, go to the range and fire 20 shots and then go home? You'd be way better off with a .22lr pistol. You can shoot all day for not a lot of money, and you will learn a lot more about shooting than you will if you start off with a huge revolver and develop a massive flinch.

7. mstad

mstad New Member

Do not buy this gun. It is the last thing you should be considering.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

Because ammo for it is hugely expensive, harder to get, it's not a good platform to learn to shoot due to size and recoil, and it is horrible for plinking and fooling around.

You basically asked "would a supercharged Z06 make a good car for a first-time autocrosser?"

9. CodeX

CodeX Guest

In all honesty I'll probably go out in the woods and just shoot shit for fun more than just going to the range, hang cans from tree limbs, shoot up old shit I don't want anymore just to blow it up, stuff like that, lol.

I wan't something that will cause devastation, but I don't want a long barrel, ie. shotgun or rifle. I would like to be able to hold it one hand eventually, I know these are supposed to have a ton of recoil but I am a pretty big guy I have no doubt I could do it, I don't know anyone that can get their hand around my wrist so that their finger and thumb are touching, if thats any indication :rofl:

10. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

the ammo is so fucking expensive that you'll never shoot it enough to be worth a damn in case you ever needed the gun + the ammo is so fucking expensive that you'll never shoot it enough to be worth a damn in case you ever needed the gun

example, box of 20 = $60
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=184677

it would be fun as hell but who the fuck is gonna pay that much for ammo and actually use it just to shoot some shit in the woods? go with a .45acp or something, much cheaper and still big and will blow the shit out of things :dunno:

11. mstad

mstad New Member

This is one wacky troll.

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

better yet, please do buy it and when you realize that you aren't going to spend the money on ammo to use it you can sell it to me at a drastically reduced price :)

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

14. CodeX

CodeX Guest

lol, money is not all that much of a consideration, but if I would get the same satisfaction for half the cost... well I'm not poor because I'm not dumb...

I'll look up the .45acp you mentioned

15. CodeX

CodeX Guest

16. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i'm not poor either but i sure didn't learn to shoot paying $3 a round, a .44 mag or .45acp is a big ass hunk of metal to throw at something and is a hell of alot cheaper, hell you can buy a box of 100 winchester white box at wallmart for a .45 for like $30 as opposed to 20 rounds for $60 for the S&W 500

the S&W 500 would be nice to have on a hunting trip in bear teritory or something but it's just too much $ to shoot the damn thing just for fun

hell a 12 guage shotty will blow the ever loving shit out of stuff in the woods and be practically free in comparison to that S&W

17. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

OK Mr Muscley arms. Have fun blowing your finger off when you hold it incorrectly.

Srs, buy a smaller caliber to learn on. This is a terrible platform for a newbie. If you honestly only want something to tear holes through shit, get something in .45ACP. That is still a big fucking caliber.

18. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Why do all these "should I buy this gun" threads end up with the TS defending their choice?

Lol

count me in the "that gun is just a novelty" group.

19. mstad

mstad New Member

Buy a DE and get it over with.

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Not a bad first gun if what you really want is something you can pull out from under your mattress to impress your hick friends. Then you can pass it around and practice some super unsafe gun handling. Maybe every now and then grab a sixer and go out in the woods and make some noise and not hit shit. If that sounds about right then go for it as a first gun.

This might not apply to you but if your intention was either to learn to shoot well, or get something you can shoot for enjoyment there are lots of better choices out there. In that case I would recommend you follow the advice of the 11ty billion first gun threads on this forum and every first time gun thread on all the other forums.

Cliffs if your too lazy to search. Several people say start with a 22. Several people say go to gun store and find something that fits your hand. 1000 people say don't fuck around and get a glock 19. Then a couple people come in and tell you why they don't like the glock because it doesn't fit their hand and glock whores then call them faggots

21. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

well said :)
    S&W 500 for a 1st gun :rofl:
    this is some of the silliest shit ever if it's not just a load of troll shit

22. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I haven't defended the "choice" (it wasn't a choice, I just liked it), you guys have probably convinced me otherwise...

23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

.22, 9mm, .40, or .45

nothing else

ibOPcomesbackwithhayguysiboughta50bmghandgun

24. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Seems half the 1st gun threads is some guy who's firearms knowledge is based on movies and video games. Ask if a degal, HK Socom, S&W 500, or pistol grip only mossberg would be a good first gun.

Oh this gun is for hunting, target shooting, self defense, zombies, shtf, and benchrest.

Lastly said guy goes and buys a sigma, or hipoint

25. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Don't listen to these guys...they're jealous armchair commados. You should get it.