tell me why i shouldn't buy a cts-v

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by didit70, May 6, 2006.

1. didit70

didit70 New Member

go...

2. slt

slt OT Supporter

They are having major problems with the rear differential. Its weak to begin with and they have alot of wheelhop. Even lightly driven ones have alot of whine and leaky diff seals.

3. slt

slt OT Supporter

Check the latest Road & Track, they have a long-term test CTS-V thats starting to wear out its welcome with a shitty (sloppy) transmission and they've already had to replace the rear diff on it.

4. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Used? Yeah the rear differential is troublesome on them, even with fairly light use apparently.

If you're buying new you might want to check out the Chrysler and Dodge SRT-8s.

5. 88rover

88rover New Member

i would still buy it , it comes with a warranty so use it.

6. Supernoma

Supernoma servus publicae OT Supporter

06+ CTS-Vs use the GTO rear differential and the LS2 engine, any problems with previous models will probadly get the upgraded rear diff.

7. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

Exagerated. The problems with the diff are on the earlier models, and not all that commen, however the last couple of years have seem to solved this issue. Wheel hop is still there, but again there are plenty of aftermarket fixes that don't cost a fortune. Remember GM had to build this car to satisfy morons who would bitch about the suspension being too stiff. Also the "sloppy" shifter shows the complete ineptitude of magasine drivers. A simple swap from a rubber to a poly bushing solves the problem, it's a $30 fix at the most. I see no reason why you shouldn't except maybe the haters here on OT might not think your cool enough, because you didn't jump on some other bandwagon.

8. fighted

fighted OT Supporter

are you buying new? if so i'd wait for the new body style out this fall (if gm knows whats best they will launch w/ the v and not wait a year or two) also the 335ic will be in your price range and give you current m3 performance for about $10 less

9. didit70

didit70 New Member

yeah, i've been reading about the rear diff. and it scared me off... i was seriously considering getting it on saturday but didn't after all the diff problems... and then road and track article just confirmed it...

10. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Becasue the guys in the STS-V will laugh at you

11. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

I wouldn't let a differential keep you from it. It's a warranty fix, and easily corrected.