GUN Tell me what's wrong with what he's saying

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Cable Guy, Aug 13, 2009.

1. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

[y]YRt_xBl7dLU[/y]

There are a few things he's saying that are pure BS or misconceptions. Can you spot it?

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Well, I'm fairly certain he put his finger on at least one trigger when handling the weapons.

Sounds like he is biased towards hollow point. If I'm shooting to kill (I am), I'm not worried about over penetration in the body. This, like gun calibers, is always debatable of course.

I don't really buy magazine spring wear, at least not on a good quality built magazine. And certainly not after only a few weeks or even a few months. If you make a habit of loading a mag and letting it sit for over a year unfired...then sure check it. At that point I'd be more concerned about the ammo and the environment in which it was stored, not the spring in the mag.

I probably missed some thing...likely important things. :rofl: But I'm tired...so that's all I got.

3. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

For one, I don't buy that gunpowder will soak up moisture that will seep through the brass case from simply being next to your body.

Secondly, mag spring wear, or any spring wear is caused by repeated compression and decompression of the spring, not prolonged compression.

Also, leaving a spring uncompressed doesn't make it more springy.

4. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

Not necessarily true about spring wear. Constant compression can cause a spring to become less effective or "springy"

5. Michael Westen

Michael Westen OT Supporter

I have had FTF problems with a XD 9 and a Kimber 1911, thanks to magazines sitting loaded for extended periods. Changing the magazine I was using instantly solved this. I will change mags ever week or 2 on my carry piece.

6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You just had shitty mags. People have found loaded mags from WWII and fired them without a hitch. I've had mags loaded for years in a closet and shot them with no problems.

Any decent magazine should be engineered to hold no more rounds than the maximum load limit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law

7. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Oh great, another youtube expert.

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

With a crappy camera and terrible audio to boot! He'll be a hit in no time! :bowdown:

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I'd prefer something I know probably won't go through to something that probably will.

10. Willie J

Willie J New Member

leaving a spring compressed does not hurt it. intro to physics-> hookes law

11. k9n

k9n Member

How does Hooke's law (F=kx) state that leaving a spring compressed does/does not wear it out?

12. k9n

k9n Member

I was just trying to be nitpicky, since F=kx (F=-kx to some) makes no mention of creep- which is the enemy. Right answer, wrong reasoning? :)

13. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

Yeah, springs don't lose energy by being compressed.

Moisture does not soak thru brass, otherwise it would be a shitty thing to make pipe fittings out of. You can get moisture between the case wall and bullet. Easy way to fix that is to use crimped rounds which are highly recommened for anything you want to store (most milsurp are) or anything that has to go bang (carry, hunting). I don't crimp reloads since most will be shot in under 6 months.

14. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

How come glock will tell you to load there magazines one bullet less than capicty if you cant get it to full capicty and let it set a few weeks and than the last bullet goes in just fine