SRS Tell me what you would do

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Spaceering, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

Ok I have been exposed to this particular issue for the past year and a half.

Where I work, at one point 8 other people including myself used to work together. We all had the same boss and things were going normal. At some point we got a particular guy to work for us, and he has been here about a year and a half now. As he has been here so long, the entire workplace is becoming a very volatile situation. The guy will be called Chan. The boss will be called Joe. The best way to look at this situation is to see how things were before, and how things are now.

In the past, Joe had many set rules and regulations that some would consider strict. Now Joe appears to be very intimidating and is just overall gets the silence when he walks into a room. People could be having casual conversations, and the second Joe sets foot in the room, everyone drops conversation instantly. This persona Joe put on worked wonders for him until the day Chan realizes that Joe sets no consequences for actions. Basically in the past, Joe had all these rules, and due to the persona he put on, nobody ever even thought of considering breaking the rules, because it was very unknown on what the outcome would be. Chan breaks every rule ever set by Joe. We all learn now that Joe is one of these people that is unable to play devils advocate EVER. He has never been anything but nice to everyone, and people are starting to realize that no matter what they do, Joe wont do squat about it. We used to have weekly meetings and everyone always came, and on time at that. Chan comes along and decides to skip a majority of these meetings. Joe did not a damn thing to him. The funny thing was though, Joe was the only one that ever thought the meetings were needed and everyone else thought they were a waste of time, to the point that Joe used to brag about how they were his "therapy" sessions. Chan also has a high profile job that requires a lot of hard work and at least 50-80 hours put in every week. There were three others in the same position as Chan and they put in these hours. But, Chan puts in 30 hours a week on a good one. The other three brought this to Joe's attenion, and at first Joe used to get upset about Chans habits. Then it turned into denial I suspect. Now when anyone confronts Joe and says how unfair it is that they work their ass off, and its true, he just snaps at them and says its none of your business. He went from being concerned to now snapping at us and even making excuses to justify Chan's actions (Chan has a 3 year old that he has to take care of so he is unable to commit to the hours). The problem has been existant for many months now, but it is getting worse. One of the other three that was in Chan's same job title took off because of how unfair he thought it was for him to have to work his ass off and get paid for only some of the hours, while chan could come in almost never and get the same exact pay. Now I can only predict that the other two people in Chan's same title are going to be leaving soon. One of the last two already told me she would be gone when her year was up. She is already looking for new work.

SO I could go on and on about everything Chan does wrong, but the point is, he breaks every rule, and Joe does nothing about it. Chan knows that nothing will be done to him, so therefore he does not even consider thinking twice when he sees a rule. A lot of our expensive equipment has been broken and needed to be repaired because Chan is careless and simply does not care.

Now my problem is: I am in the middle of all this bullshit. I mean People complain to Joe about stuff, and then Joe half ass calls Chan out, and then Chan lies about it to make himself benefit. I am so close to just saying fuck this, and just resign from the job. The only thing that keeps me from doing so is because Joe has completely changed. Like the biggest issue in this all was the not working and getting paid for it. At first Joe used to come here every day and ask where Chan was, and even a few times he made a comment to me along the lines of "well chan should be here from 9-5 every day". And now over the past few months, if you even mention to Joe anything about how Chan does not work, he not only snaps and tells you thats his business, but he also makes excuses for Chan.

What should I do? Try to talk to Joe about this? Resign from the job? Part of me just wants to say fuck this, but then I feel like I am running from something that could be changed

any and all advice is appreciated.

2. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

So you have not talked to your boss about any of this? You need to schedule a meeting with him to talk about it. Atleast do that to see if things change, if you just resign, Joe probably will never realize that things are not right between his employees. Tell him you do not feel comfortable with the way the business is being run and how employees are now being treated.

Also, where do you work? The place I work at has a hotline to call if you feel you can not speak to your boss about things.

3. Mulsanne

Mulsanne The Man = Funk Fusion Chaos

i dont think you know what devil's advocate means

4. Mulsanne

but don't quit till you have another job. Even if its shitty shitty shitty, its better than being unemployed :o

5. Mulsanne

btw devils advocate is when, in a discussion or debate you posit a point that you don't really believe, but that raises an interesting counter point to what the other guy is saying

6. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

I had not talked to him at all. I went this afternoon and talked to him. I figured it would be fair for him to at least hear what i had been holding in. He was pretty much expecting this to happen. He broke it down and made a resolution on how to solve each part. All I can do now is wait and see what happens. For now I just trust that he will follow through with the action like he said he would.

I agree with this, and that is pretty much the stance I have taken. Some other people do not realize what being a good employee is. I instinctively realized this, so I never saw or though of it on paper. But I am going to relay what you said to them and hope it helps. They think that if he is a bad employee that they can suddenly slack because it is only fair. But they have been hard workers in the past while this guy has been worthless from day one.

Haha, yea i did put this wrong. I was actually so pissed that i just wrote this at work and someone walked in before i looked back through it and fixed it. Really what I meant to say was, Joe does not like to be the bad guy. And this means that he dreads having to bring bad news to someone. So as a result, people break rules and instead of there being a consequence, there is nothing. Anyone could literally break a rule and face no consequence. Oddly enough mostly everyone follows the rules-except Chan. And he breaks rules that should be dealbreakers, yet nothing happens. So Joe is just-afraid I guess. Before everyone was intimidated by Joe and never even thought to break a rule so there did not have to be any consequence, but now that Chan has shown everyone that not a thing happens when rules are broken, other people are experimenting with breaking rules slowly to see if nothing happens to them as well. This is where it gets bad.

Thanks to you all for the replies. Now that this situation has been partially resolved, I wonder what do you have to say about this:

two of the other people that are in the same job title as Chan are upset and think it is unfair that Chan comes to work 30 hours a week, when both of them come twice as long and all three get the same exact pay. They think it is unfair and should be grounds for termination. Joe thinks that it is nobodys business but his and Chans. But I mean how would I convince them to change their mindset? Because the bottom line is Joe is the boss so his thoughts have the final say. I mean I have tried to tell them that someday all this will bite Chan in the ass and he will have hell to pay, while they can feel good knowing the hard work they put in was worth it. If anyone could think of something else I could try to tell them it would be helpful. My outlook is not getting to them, and one of them has already told me that she is looking for another job, simply because of this-she thinks it is not fair for him to work half as much and get paid the same as she does. To me it is not worth leaving over!

7. Abomb

Abomb New Member

is chan some sort of super genius asian?

8. Daria

Daria New Member

especially with the way the economy is right now

9. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

nope. in fact he is Asian, but he is far from gifted. He uses lies to hide how dumb he really is.

anyway, funny story. Joe called both Chan and I to a meeting today. Of course Chan blatantly lied in front of me and Joe. And when I called him out on one of the lies, it got me a 10 minute lecture. I got bitched out about crap uncovering his lies. Like the point I am at now is I am completely at a loss of what to do. I have solid proof to refute the lies chan made, but I mean I dont feel things would turn out the way I expected them to. The way it should happen is, I show the proof to refute the lie this guy just told an hour ago and Joe acts accordingly. The way it will turn out is, I show the proof to Joe, and Chan goes and says, I did not ever say what you are proposing I had said. And Joe would know full well what he said an hour ago because he was in the same room listening. But Joe would agree with Chan, and somehow I would get in trouble. If I could guess I would get lectured about how I shouldn't be getting other peoples personal stuff or something.

Isn't this all crazy? I mean Joe has this horrid fear of Chan-because Chan pushes his buttons. Like Chan knows that Joe will never lay a consequence on him, so he always sets it up like it is some kind of fun game. The problem is that it is tearing the rest of the place apart. The relations among everyone else is horrible.

Can somebody explain to me how a person like Joe can have this obssessively unhealthy fear of enforcing consequences? Because I have spent at least a year trying to figure it out. Now that I finally am honest and confront him and tell him of everything-he uses it against me as punishment. It is like Joe is telling me, you want to point out all the rules this guy breaks then I am going to pin that against you and make you look bad because I don't want to enforce the consequences that everyone already agreed to facing when they signed the HR documentation and rules.

10. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I'd tell him that you as well as a number of "unnamed" employees are going to be leaving if the situation regarding Chan doesn't change. In-fact I would have my resignation letter in hand while saying it, and I would show him too.

See if he calls your bluff. If you get other members involved and everyone does the same thing at once, you'll see he'll in all probability bend and solve the issue.

11. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

yea, most friends and family seem to have the same feeling. I am already writing all this down in a little file, and will add more to the list while I find a new job. The market for my work is not at its best right now, so I am going to tough it out and take some other steps that could give me a broader area of opportunity-hope for the best along the way.

I find it almost amusing and frustrating seeing this same theme over and over. Chan and Joe are just about the 10th or so to act it out. Chan sucks up to Joe, gives Joe poor me stories, lies, and Joe covers Chan's ass over and over and bends the shit out of the rules for Chan without even thinking twice. And Chan wants it this way, and to me it seems like Chan is just using Joe for his own vices. Pretty sad though, that Joe has the final say, and he just lets chan have the final say.

12. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

at yesterday's meeting with Joe and Chan, I got called out big time for failing to properly communicate-by both Chan and Joe. So I now send all issues that arise to everyone via email, and this plan is already working just like I want it to. Actually it is working better than I ever imagined it would-almost seems too good to be true. Chan is trying to hide lies to Joe, but I am not only letting Joe know, but everyone. Apparently this is how I should have been doing things all along-as told to me by someone who has been working in a bureaucracy for over 15 years. Oh well, live and learn...not in writing, then not shit.

this thread really helped a lot :wiggle:

13. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Excellent, great.