GUN Tell me what you know about Makarovs

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dobis P.R., Dec 1, 2005.

1. Dobis P.R.

Dobis P.R. Guest

I'm turning 21 in less than two months. Unfortunately, I won't have a whole lot of money to spend on a handgun after I pay for the CCW class which is $150. Southern Ohio Gun has Polish Makarovs (which I guess are not technically 'real makarovs') for sale priced at $140 which is within my budget.

Are polish manufacture Makarovs worth a shit?

Would this gun hold its value if I were to sell it down the road?

I see that surplus 9x18 ammo is quite cheap. Are decent defense rounds available in this caliber?

Should I go for it? Or save up until I can afford a handgun of higher quality?

http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplushandguns.html

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mak's are decent and pretty reliable guns, I've come close to purchasing on a few occasions, the mak 9x18 is basically soviet version of 9mm. Defensive ammo not to sure whats available, Wolf, Barnaul, Silver/Gold Bear will all be good ammo for range.

3. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Quality is a relative issue. As for build quality you're hard pressed to find another sturdier handgun. Myself, I'd stay away from the Polish P-64 and try to find a real Makarov. I bought a Russian as my first handgun and it was my primary CCW for about 9 months. I still carry it part time now. I've trained with it alot, and other than the slide bite on my big hands it's a great shooter.

If you have anymore questions post 'em up and I can reply better when I'm fully awake.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah I should add I'm not real familair with the polish ones, I know russians aren't much more, I know someone else on here thats used one as his daily carry piece for a last couple years, I'll steer him over to this thread tommorow.

5. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

Hold out for a Bulgarian Makarov if you can.. keep looking around. They're great little guns as a whole though.. very reliable, tough as nails, ammo is decently priced..

My only gripe is they tend to be a tad bit heavy.

6. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

a polish makarov is not really a makarov.. parts are harder to come by, and they are supposedly not as reliable as a makarov..

bulgarian or russian FTW

east germans are the best, but expensive..

I carry my bulgarian, I love it.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

One disadvantage to me is that good performing jhp's for it seem to be hard to find in stock. I'd personally consider looking for a used cz75 or something along those lines for defensive purposes just because it'll be super easy to find great defensive rounds, and cheap to shoot.

8. Dobis P.R.

Dobis P.R. Guest

Thanks for everyone's input/advice, I didn't expect to get this many replies so quickly.

I checked gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com and wasn't able to find a Bulgarian or Russian Makarov as cheap as SOG has the P-64. It looks like that after shipping and FFL fees it would cost me roughly $100 more. (I can just drive over to SOG and pick up the P-64). Any other places that I can check?

So the Makarov comes in two variants, one with a single stack eight round magazine, and another variant with double stack magazines of 10 or 12 round capacity. Is this correct? Does anyone know the magazine capacity on the P-64?

Krott, what defensive loads do you use in your Mak?

9. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:hsr:
    6 rounds?? Hold out a bulgie or russian mak or spend a lil extra cash in local shop and just a used .357

10. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

the worst thing you could go with is anything made in china. eastern block stuff is always better then chinese. i would go with the nagant pistol.

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Not all ChiCom is junk, love my Norinco and Polytech AK's, but yeah other then AK's and SKS's most chicom stuff is junk, I wouldnt buy any of there knockoff 1911's, or other assorted handguns.

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Shipping should be $25 at most, transfer should be $25 at most. You can probably find for less.

13. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

I just use Silver Bear 92gr FMJ :hsughno:

14. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

I've tried Silver Bear HP, seemed good at first, actually more accurate than the FMJ.. but then after awhile I started getting FTE's..

but then again, I dont really clean it too often either :coolugh:

15. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

So far in the weapons I've tried it in (9mm and 5.56 only so far) I definently like Silver Bear over wolf bit more accurate and same price as Wolf.. I need to get to the range I think i got a couple boxes of other calibers in silver bear i need to try out. Need to get upto my uncles property and do some testing see if silver bear expands better then wolf too :cool:

16. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

im confident it could go that many rounds on mine with FMJ, but I think I need to polish my feed ramp or something for the HP's

17. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

When I train with my Makarov I shoot RAM HP. It's plenty snappy and feeds reliably and clean in my Mak. I've shot over 500 rounds in one day without any mishaps or excess buildup.

For carry ammo I keep Hornady JHP's loaded, but just bought some Georgia Arms loadings of Gold Dot's. Had someone on the makarov forums chrono them for me and they're very similar to the Hornady's. Not much advantage for power, but they're cheaper.

Also with a small heavy gun a good holster really makes carrying easier. I get most of my leather from Eric at HBE Leatherworks, great guy and excellent leather.