tell me how to move data from my PC to my new PB!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nashstradamus, Mar 29, 2005.

1. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

I need to know as soon as possible because i just got my new 12 incher today but need to send out my dell which i just sold on ebay by tomorrow. I have an ethernet (Cat5) cable, will that work to transfer? Thanks to anyone who helps me out!

(if its easier to im just hit me up on aim under the same name as my OT name)

2. falconbrad

falconbrad "You're one angry white boy."

If you have a crossover cable, you can connect your PB and Dell directly. Otherwise, if you want to connect the two, you're gonna have to have a home router, hub, or something of the like. I dunno how much data you have, but you can durn CDs...

Is your Dell a laptop or desktop? If it's a laptop and you have wireless (or even if it's a desktop and you have wireless), you can set up an ad-hoc network between the two and transfer data over that. To do that, you would set up your PB by choosing the "Create network..." selection on the wireless menubar item. Then you would be able to see that connection on your Dell and connect to the network.

You might also have to manually configure IPs on both machines if you do that. Just give them neighboring private addresses, like 192.168.0.x. Subnet 255.255.255.0. Gateway or router address doesn't matter. You will also need to turn Windows sharing on in the "sharing" preferences in your Preference Panel. Turn off the firewall temporarily as well.

I've gotta go to school, so maybe someone else can pick up where I left off. Good luck!

3. Sin.dc2r

Sin.dc2r New Member

I just got my 15" powerbook last night and was trying to set-up the same thing. I just ended up setting up an AIM account on both my PC and my Powerbook. Im sharing one internet connection through a router and the transfer speed is unbelieveable. Try it out if all else doesnt work for you. Good luck!

Forgot to add, just drag files from your PC to the AIM window with the Powerbooks SN. Then click send, and then accept on the Powerbook side. Hope that helps. :)

4. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

Physical connection wise...

Easiest way = cross over cable to direct connect the computers via wired connection.
    Next easiest way = two straight through cables to hub/switch/router/etc and pass the information that way.
    Next next way = create an ad hoc wireless network and move the info via the ad hoc WLAN.

Information transfer wise (once the computers are phyically connected)...

Easiest way = Winders file sharing.
    Best way = FTP between the computers (truth be told it will actually be faster in most cases because Winders file sharing has a fairly high overhead). Set up an FTP server on one computer and use an FTP client on the other to pull te files over.
    Worst way = use app like AIM, or transfer the files out across the Internet and back.

5. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

tried aim its extremely slow

vegas - what do you mean by crossover cable?

6. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

i have a home router by the way and i have both computers online, but i cannot "see" the other on both of them... i think i am just doing something small wrong. i hope one of you can point me in the right direction

7. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

figured it out thanks for the help!

8. LiekOMG

LiekOMG New Member

Jenna Jameson's School of the "Performing Arts"
    Just though i'd chime in with a bit of info...

If you have a fairly recent Mac (say 2001 and newer?), you don't need a crossover cable if you are using a Mac as at least one of the 2 connected computers. All Apple computers since then have auto sensing ports, and can properly configure itself to transfer data using regular ethernet cables.

9. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

it might just be easier to burn the data to a bunch of CD's. plus you have a bunch of backup's

10. falconbrad

Shit... I completely forgot about that... Good call...

11. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

News to me. :coold:

A Crossover cable differs from a straight through because you cross the transmit and receive wires allowing two computers (without auto-sensing ports) to talk directly to one another.

[​IMG]

12. nashstradamus

nashstradamus New Member

wow thanks guys i learn something every day. im sure i will be back very soon asking more questions!

so far i have d/led and used:

quicksilver - love it!
    firefox - had it b4, i think its better on the mac
    adium - where can i get more themes?
    onyx - how do i self automate the tasks?

u guys r the shit

13. falconbrad

Just tried it out with my one-year-old powerbook and it works perfectly. I used to do this at work all the time and had totally forgotten that Macs had this feature built-in. I love Apple.

Nashstradamus: I'm assuming you've already found Adium's site at www.adiumx.com. If you want the "extras," Adium has its own site at www.adiumxtras.com. I have a few things up there myself :). The new version of Adium, 0.8, that's currently in beta right now is the shit and has quite a few new features, too. So look forward to that.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Hook up both computers to a network. Share the files on your PC. Connect to your PC from your mac, and copy the files over. You may have to manually enter the PC's IP address when you mount the drive from the mac.

If the above is confusing, rtfm.

15. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

www.adiumxtras.com